5

I was nervous. I thought I would have an anxiety attack. But thankfully, I didn't.

After getting his car keys from his house, Rajat looked at me as if he was going to give me a lecture about life and its importance. He seriously had that look. I looked confused but then he commanded, "Follow me."

We went down the stairs. I was following him. While climbing down he asked for my address, to which he said he already knew where it was.

When we reached his car, he pulled open the door of the passenger seat and waited for me to reach the car. Chivalry does exist.

I sat inside the car and put my seatbelt. When I looked up to him, I could see concern and worry written all over his face. His eyes landed on my injured eye. He stared at me for a long time which made me feel uncomfortable. So, I shifted my gaze and cleared my throat. He closed my door and walked to the driver's seat.

Soon, we left Gauri's complex. There was an awkward silence in the car. This silence made me feel more uncomfortable. There was no music playing from the radio to distract the discomfort between us.

So, I started thinking about the events that took place in the party. Suddenly, I remembered the part where I pushed Rajat. I didn't mean to hurt him. Maybe he was angry that I pushed him?

I felt really guilty. So, I broke the silence and said, "Rajat, I'm really sorry."

He looked at me with his eyebrows raised before turning his head to face the road and he asked, "Sorry? Why the hell are you sorry?"

"Because I pushed you when I was having a fight with Nakul."

He let out a nervous chuckle and said, "I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me."

What was that supposed to mean? I continued, "Are you angry with me?"

He looked at me again but then faced to see the road and said, "I'm not angry at you. I'm angry at your brother. He's an asshole!"

"Yeah, he is."

Again the silence. But he broke it soon by saying, "What's wrong with you guys? Why did he have to punch you like that?"

Honestly, I didn't feel like talking about the whole thing. It made me feel exhausted and worthless. So, I said, "He's an idiot, that's it. Let us forget about him. I don't wanna talk about it."

"Okay, fine."

We reached my place. He looked at me but I looked out the window. Since he drove me home, I thought of being polite, "Do you want to come upstairs to my apartment?"

"Uhh. I mean, I have to leave at 4 am tomorrow. So-"

"4 in the morning? Shouldn't you get some sleep?"

Rajat simply chuckled and said, "I don't sleep. I don't need it."

I had a quizzical look on my face. So, I asked, "What does that even mean?"

"Its a long story," he mocked my words. He then asked, "What time is it?"

I checked my watch and said, "The day's over. You will be leaving for work in 4 hours."

"I can come up. I don't mind staying for an hour unless you have to be somewhere."

"I don't have work tomorrow. I mean, today."

"Okay. Cool."

He got down from his car and we headed up to my apartment. Before opening the door, I said, "Don't expect my house to be clean."