8

My alarm started buzzing. I didn't feel like getting up but I had to go for work. So, I forcefully opened my eyes. I wasn't in my room. I was at Gauri's guest room. I slept at her place because I wanted to check on Rajat's health.

That was an excuse, right?

No, but I genuinly wanted to know whether he was alright. So, I brushed, took a shower and got dressed. I greeted Gauri, who was typing on her computer. She worked from home. She greeted me too and she looked happy as usual.

Before I could ask her, she screamed excitedly, "Harsh and I are leaving tomorrow morning for the weekend! We'll be back in 2 days."

"Good. Enjoy yourself."

She looked at me with disbelief and asked with a little disappointment, "Don't you wanna know where I'm going? Aren't you going to tell me to be safe and all that stuff? You're my brother!"

"Don't be so over - dramatic! Firstly, you can handle yourself pretty well. Secondly, I should be giving Harsh some safety tips. And thirdly, I don't want to be jealous of you."

She thought for a while and agreed, "Fair enough. By the way, how's lover boy?"

The night before I had told her about the drinking and my confession. I also told her about the singing, the tomato soup and the kiss on the forehead.

I snapped, "Will you stop calling him that!"

"Fine, how's 'Rajat'?"

"He was almost fine by last night. I'm gonna see him now."

I sped up to Rajat's apartment and rang the bell. Rajat opened the door instantly. He looked bright and fresh. He was wearing his usual, that is, casuals and his hair was left open. He had a wide smile on his face and he greeted me with some energy, "Good morning, Nik."

"Morning. How are you feeling today?"

It was obvious that he was fine, but still.

"I'm good. In fact, pretty good."

"Good."

We stood there for a minute with the awkwardness taking over our silence. So, I said, "I've gotta go. So..."

He nodded with understanding and asked, "I can drop you if you want. I'm going to work now and I'll be passing your home. And also, we must carpool to save our planet."

I raised my eyebrows when I heard the last statement. Why was he being so weird?

I nodded my head and said, "I would love to. But Bruno will be there in the car. I don't think you'll be okay with that."

"Hey! Bruno is my friend too. I don't mind giving my friend a ride."

He started laughing. I just chuckled and said, "Fine. Let's go."

***

We were inside Rajat's car. Rajat was driving, I was sitting in the passenger seat and Bruno was sitting behind like an obedient boy. There was silence in the car but it wasn't awkward, until...

My phone started buzzing. When I pulled it out, I was surprised by who was calling me.

Mom.

I didn't wanna receive the call and if I'd decline it, it would be rude. So, I let it ring. Rajat saw that with his eyebrows furrowed and asked, "Are you gonna pick that?"

"No way."

"Why? Who's calling you?"

I let out a quick sigh and replied in a monotone, "My mom."