Chapter 5 : Hating the rules

LISA'S POV

What I hated most of all was that I was told what to do and that I had to follow orders. I also hated it when people disturbed my free time, especially when I was focused on my work or reading a good old book on my couch on a Friday morning. But although I could hate all those little things, I couldn't say anything or even show my annoyance because she was my own mother. 

The one and only one, Chitthip Manoban.

"Are you going to keep working on your lessons and ignore your mother who just flew 11 hours straight from Paris to see her only daughter how she was doing?" With her legs crossed, she kept tapping her fingers on the glass table that made an unbearable noise. My mother thought she was the queen with her sparkling red dress and black heels that were probably worth my triple salary. Before her husband died, Marco Bruschweiler, she was completely devastated that I felt sad for her except that a few days later, I caught her counting the bills in her bedroom. So I realized that my dear mother had never changed.

"You still have some money left over that Marco left you, after you bought those heels," I snorted with laughter.

"Lisa Manoban!" she got up from the stool with her hair in firecrackers and her eyes ready to come out of her orb. I had a talent for driving my mother crazy. Imagine her face when the doctors told her that her daughter had a penis instead of a vagina. 

No, but seriously, my mother used to be joyful and have a heart of gold until the day my father left us. She had completely lost her mind and it took her a while to recover. I thought everything was going to be all right except that I didn't recognize my mother anymore. She started dating different rich men from whom she benefited from their fortunes. Her excuse? So we can have a good life.

Fuck the good life! I was happy with my money and not with the others!

"I'm sorry mom. My intention was not to hurt you, I'm sorry," I turned off my laptop and hugged my mother. At least she was still accepting my hugs.

"It's okay. It's my fault, I should have told you I was coming. You're probably very busy, I'm sorry," she placed a kiss on my forehead. At times, I had a glimmer of hope to find the sweet mother I knew. In her eyes, I could see a light, certainly it was far away but it was there.

"Let's stop apologizing. You know what? I'll tell you what. On Thursday, I didn't have a class. So I was able to make it to next week and since you're here and I still have time before I go to university. What would you say we go to the local sushi place for lunch?" I admit that I preferred to cook myself at home but as a part of me felt guilty, and not wanting to hurt my mother more than that, I had to do something more fancy than usual.

"If you promise me that the place isn't too crowded because I have something important to discuss with you," the arrogant mother was now back. Let's just hope she wasn't going to suggest to meet someone.

"What?!" I shouted that the waiters and clients turned to me. Lucky I hadn't spit my saké on my delicious California rolls.

"Manoban, I'm very proud that you're a professor with a doctorate at this age but I think it's time you opened your eyes around you. A lot of girls are ready to say yes to you! Of course, I don't want you to marry random girls and since I know you're not very smart about this kind of thing, so I did my little research," she proudly said as she raised her cup of green tea.

"You know very well that I don't like that kind of thing. Besides, it's not in my plans to find me anyone. I have too much to deal with and my students are my priority," I shoved the makis furiously into my mouth.