Life in the Pain

Austin's P.O.V.: 

"Please, Austin. Don't go," Tyler whispered quietly as I tried to pull away. I looked into her eyes; she looked broken and scared and alone, and it broke my heart. She was practically pleading with me to stay, and I wanted to, more than anything, but I was hesitant. With everything that had happened today I didn't want to take advantadge of the situation, of her being so vulnerable. I closed my eyes and sighed, shaking my head; I couldn't leave her alone.

I slipped my shoes off and laid on the other side of the bed listening to the soft rain hitting the windows in her room. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her inch towards me. I glanced over at her, at the tears sliding silently down her rosy cheeks. She needed comfort, and I wanted to give it to her, but I didn't want to hurt her.....in more ways than one. After a few moments of contemplation I softly wrapped my arms around her trying not to hurt her bruised body, and she laid her head on my chest. She seemed to relax a little as we laid there together, but I couldn't; I was still angry that that asshole had hurt her, and I couldn't just let it go.

"How did you know?" her fragile voice cracked as she spoke, breaking the silence that surrounded us.

"How did I know what?" I whispered, confused at what she was asking.

"How did you know what was going on? That I needed help?" she replied. I felt my body tense as I thought about it again. She must've felt it too because she squeezed me tightly in response telling me that it's okay.

"You were up there for a while and I got worried so I figured I'd come check on you. I was about to knock on the door and I heard a loud bang and a bunch of yelling so I went in and that's when I saw...." my voice trailed off as I thought back to what I saw when I burst through that apartment door: Tyler was laying on the ground, Kody on top of her, holding on to her so hard his knuckles were turning white, and he hit her right in the face. I remembered Tyler yelping in pain, and then I lost it. I grabbed him before he could hit her again and tossed him to the ground. I hit him as hard as I could, over and over; I couldn't make myself stop. I was seeing red I was so angry.

How could anyone do that to a woman? Especially someone like Tyler. She's just so.....I can't even explain it. Whatever she has I'm drawn to her; there's something between us. I feel it everytime I'm near her, but I'm not sure if she does.

"Thank you," I heard her whisper, pulling me out of my thoughts. I leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

"Are you sure you're okay? I really think you need to go see a doctor, Tyler," I questioned.

"No, I'll be okay. I'm just gonna go get some Advil or something," she started to move to get up, but I stopped her.

"I'll get it. Stay here," I sat up slowly so I didn't hurt her and I walked off to the bathroom down the hall. I got her some Advil and walked to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water. As I made my way back to her room I could hear her talking on the phone to someone.

"I know, I'm sorry it's been so long I've been really busy.....now isn't really the best time.....she did? Okay, yeah I'll be there in a little bit. Thanks.....bye," she hung up the phone and walked over to the mirror, wincing as she saw the damage done to her face. She pulled out some makeup and began to apply it to the bruise. I knocked slightly on the door and she turned and gave me a sad smile.

"Here," I handed her the pills and the water and she smiled gratefully and took them before walking back and finishing covering her face.

"I, uh, have something I have to go, um,  take care of. I shouldn't be long and you're welcome to stay here if you want, but I'm sure you have other stuff to do which is fine," she said as she looked at me quickly before turning back to the mirror and fixing her ponytail and putting her glasses back on. She looked sad and scared and I didn't want her to leave.

"I actually don't, but do you really think you need to leave right now, Ty?" I questioned before mentally slapping myself. It wasn't my place to tell her what to do. She turned to me and shrugged her shoulders.

"It's just, um, something I have to do," she stuttered the words out, and I was getting worried about where she was going, but I knew better than to pry into her business. 

"When does Josh get off work?" I asked, worried about her being alone later.

"He went out of town for the weekend with Lydia," she said as her face dropped. I walked over to her and hugged her softly and she winced a little.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," I looked down into her eyes. "I'll be here when you get back so I can make sure you're okay," I said and she nodded her head and smiled before walking out of the bedroom and out the door into the rain.

I rubbed my hands over my face. I couldn't pinpoint what it was about her, but one thing I knew for sure: I was falling in love with her, and I was falling hard.

-------

Tyler's P.O.V:

After a while of driving through the pouring rain I finally pulled up to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. I parked and pulled my hood up over my hair before I ran quickly into the building, cursing under my breath at the pain I was in. I smiled at the ladies at the front desk before I made my way to the elevator, pushing the button to take me up to the 8th floor. I tapped my foot in nervousness the entire way up, and took a deep breath in as the elevator came to a stop and the doors opened revealing the Psychiatric Ward. I walked towards the check-in desk and smiled at the lady sitting behind it.

"Well, well, well. How are you doing, honey? We haven't seen ya around here in a while!" Sheila exclaimed.

"Yeah it's been kinda busy lately," I mumbled. I always hated myself when I thought about how little I made it here. Sheila handed me my visitors pass and I smiled and thanked her before walking down the all too familiar hallway towards room 46B. I stood outside of the room trying to collect myself before I went in. I knocked lightly on the half open door before walking partially into the small room.

"Tyler! You came! I was hoping you would come! I've missed you so much!" she said as she turned and slowly hobbled over to where I was standing. She pulled me into a hug and I winced a little, but hugged her back.

"Hi, mom. I've missed you too."