Homesick

ANNIE POV

"Hey, Mom." I smiled. I sat at the window seat in my room and held my phone up. Mom and I were on FaceTime. We hadn't talk in a couple weeks so this was really nice.

"Hey, Baby! How's it going?" Mom asked. She was sitting at the kitchen table. I could see Dad cooking in the background. The kitchen always smelt like tomato sauce and garlic.

"Really good. They just invented a new drug for us people with really bad heart problems. It hurts a little at first when you take it but there's no chest pain for the rest of the day and no chest pain at night. It's really awesome."

"I notice you have an Oxygen Tube. The doctors didn't say anything about that."

"It doesn't matter. You couldn't even come to the hospital when I was in a coma so I'm sure you don't care about my health."

"Your mother and I do the best we can for you. You're there because we want you to get better. Where's your sister? Put her on FaceTime, please." Dad nodded. I groaned and shook my head.

"I can't. She's getting yelled at right now. Her and her best friends got caught playing out in the snow." I scoffed.

"Who's her friends?" Mom and Dad asked at the same time. A little note, Jughead is Leah's only friend. I mean it. People always that Leah was really weird. Jughead is Leah's first REAL friend.

"Jughead and Sam." I replied to them.

"How old are they?"

"Jughead is 18 and Sam is 14." I said. Dad seemed frustrated about that and sucked the tomato sauce off of his fingers.

"She shouldn't be having a friend that's 18. She has Sam, but aren't there any other kids there?" Mom said. She doesn't realize how many people actually aren't in the Dibbisons section.

"It's fine. Jughead is a really good guy. He has a little sister and has a girlfriend back home. He's a lot like...Shane." I nodded.

"Please, don't say that name. I'm glad you and Leah have found such wonderful friends there. I hope you guys get a cure soon. We have to go, but we'll talk to you soon." Mom weakly smiled. I sighed and gave a nod.

"Of course, I love you." I said.

"We love you too, Annilee." Dad smiled. They waved goodbye and I hung up. I turned off my phone and looked out to the window. The city was functioning even at night with a lot snow. It's so beautiful yet cruel at the same time. The snow is glistening and fun yet it leaves cold weather and sickness. I really miss Arizona. I miss the heat and the cacti. I miss the burning sun and weird animals. I miss it all.