The Breakup

JUGHEAD POV

I sat in the chair in the lobby. I feel so worried for Leah. But she'd be ok. She's in good hands and she's a fighter. I heard steps coming and I looked up. Annie was walking down the hall. She was using a walker to help her keep her balance. She collapsed on to the couch and sighed.

"The Oxygen Concentrator is heavy. You'll get used to it over time. How are you feeling?" I asked her.

"I'm in pain. My chest feels like it's on fire and I have pain all the time. My sister is in surgery and I didn't even get to talk to her. Last but not least, my boyfriend doesn't love me anymore." Annie sassed.

"Ann-"

"I know you're still talking to Betty. I'm asking you right now, Jughead...do you really love me? If Betty and I were standing in front of you and you had to choose, who would it be?"

"I love you." I nodded. The next thing she said was the truth. It made me realize it.

"But you're in love with me. You're only with me because you don't wanna be a danger to Betty." Annie said beginning to cry.

"You're right, I'm not in love with you. But you're so caring and I love you...as friends. Can we still be friends?" I asked. She shook her head and had a hard time standing up.

"That's the thing, Jug. I don't think I can be just friends with you. I love you in a way that you'll never love me." Annie weakly nodded. She began to walk away and I buried my face into my hands and I groaned.