Another Friend

JUGHEAD POV

I sat on my bed with my laptop in my lap. I watched Stella's newest YouTube video with Betty in it. Betty looked the same. Her hair pulled back into a tight ponytail and jeans and white button-up shirt. They were trying to do viral dances on the internet and it was hilarious watching it. I missed her a lot.

I heard a loud knock on my door and I groaned. I paused the video and put the laptop on my bed. I walked to the door and saw a guy standing there.

 I walked to the door and saw a guy standing there

"Hi dude, can you back up?" I asked. He took a few steps back.

"I'm really lost. My room is 310 and I can't find it. My name is Daniel, by the way."

"I'm Jughead. I'm 300 so just go down on the hall you'll find it. I just got here yesterday. I'm afraid we're stuck in a section full of girls." I shrugged.

"That's ok. I'd be afraid in a section full of guys. I have a boyfriend back home. Anyways, thanks." Daniel said walked away. I exhaled and went over to my med-cart. I took out some of my heart medication and took the medication. My chest still hurt. I took some painkillers on top of that and we went back to my bed. I played the video and kept watching Stella and Betty do their goofy stuff. I really wanted to go home and see Betty.

"Can I come in?" I heard a voice outside the door. I closed my laptop and got up. I opened the door and saw Annie standing there with a book. She had her brown-hair pulled back into a ponytail and she had a sweater and black skirt on. She had on gloves and a mask.

"Hi Annie, do you need something?" I asked and leaned against the doorway.

"I finished 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and I thought you'd like to read it. It has adventure, crime, romance, and everything you could want in a story." She said and handed me the book. I nodded and shrugged.

"Thank you for the book, Annie. Um...how's Leah?" I asked her.

"She's fine. She's currently taking an afternoon nap. She has an immediate surgery tomorrow on her liver. She's really scared and wants comfort. It's times like these we miss our parents. Just like how you miss your girlfriend." Annie said. There was a moment of silence and then she slid her mask down. "Do you want to go on a walk with me?"

"I'm kind of busy right now. Maybe we can go on one later tonight or tomorrow? Tell Leah that she's going to be ok." I said. I shut the door in her face and sighed. Betty and I used to go on walks all the time. I needed to stop letting Betty control my life when she wasn't even here. I put on gloves and a mask and put my oxygen concentrator in my bag. I walked out of my room and saw Annie walking down the hall.

"Hey!" I yelled. She turned around and gave a weak smile. "I thought maybe we could do the walk now." I weakly smiled and shrugged. I kept my distance as we walked down the hall.

"When were you diagnosed?" I asked Annie.

"I was 14. It was shortly after a camping trip and we were having so much fun. Then my brother, sister, and I got really sick. We were kept away from each other and I went into depression. When we were at the hospital a year ago, my brother's air sacs exploded and his liver exploded, and his heart ruptured. He died and it was so awful for my family and I. I'm happy we're here at Seattle Grace now. Maybe we'll be cured." She said giving a weak smile. "Tell me about...your family."

"I have a 12-year old sister named Jellybean. My parents struggle with money, especially hospital bills. I cause them so much pain and I'm the reason they're so stressed. Jellybean is the only person that keeps them happy and it's better when I'm...gone." I said.

"What about Betty?"

"She's beautiful, brave, smart, and funny. We spent a lot of time together because of a school project she was working on. I had a heart attack and my family wouldn't let me say goodbye. I care about her too much to hurt her so I blocked her number. Have you ever been in a relationship, Annie?" I asked.

"I haven't and I don't want to. I'm too scared of hurting them or myself. Betty seems like a wonderful girl. I hope you're cured so you can see each other again." Anne sighed. We exchanged looks and she looked out the window. We saw a giant city in front of us that we couldn't even go out and see.

"It's beautiful at night, Jughead. I actually want to ask you something. I need you to help me sneak out of the hospital every night. I want to go to the bookstore so I can get poetry books." Annie smiled. I scoffed and shook my head.

"That's a huge risk." I crossed my arms.

"If you do it...I'll buy you books too. Whatever books you want, I'll get them. I promise on my own set of lungs." Annie said. I groaned and nodded.

"Fine. Fine!" I shouted.

"But you have to promise me something."

"What?"

"You have to promise me that you won't fall in love with me." Annie said. I scoffed and shook my head.

"Yeah, that won't be a problem." I said.

"Good. I'll see you tonight then." Annie said and walked away. What did I get myself into?