Chapter 26 - "That's not suspicious at all."

[RECAP] 

I left the bathroom and shut the door behind me, not moving until I heard the lock click.   

I rushed to Chase's room and picked up his old baseball bat. I was so not going to face some ego-maniac asshole defense-less.  

Just as I had made my way back to the living room, I heard the front door give away. Surprised that it lasted that long, I took a deep breath and awaited the inevitable.   

                                          --------------------------------------------

"Really? A baseball bat?" 

The younger of the two intruders smiled cynically. Without the mask and the dingy lighting of the ring, I recognised him as a junior at school. Who'd have guessed?  

"Kris Ward," I blurted out, remembering his name.  

He bowed mockingly, "A pleasure to actually meet you." I took in the bruising on his face with the startling realisation that I'd been the one to inflict it.  

"And what the hell are you doing at my house?" I demanded, trying to keep my anxiety off my face. The thought of my little brother being in the same house as these pathetic excuses for people made my grip on the bat tighten. Our only hope was that Chase would get back soon. 

"Can hardly call this dump a house," the older man said, scathingly. I turned my eyes to him and noted the similarities between the two intruders. As if he had read my mind, Kris spoke up, "I almost forget my manners. This is Mark, my brother." 

"Brilliant. Now get out," I shot at him.  

"Now that's not very polite," Kris shook his head in mock disappointment, "Imagine my surprise when I find out that the one and only 'Storm' everyone was going crazy about was loner, orphan, Cassandra Winters." 

My thoughts raced as I tried to figure out a way to get rid of them. I needed them to leave now; Cammie would come out soon enough despite my warnings. 

"Neither was breaking in here. So unless you have something to say to me, get the fuck out of here," I snarled.  

"Where's your boyfriend? Cavanaugh?" Mark asked me, completely disregarding what I'd said.  

"He's not my boyfriend and is on his way back home right now." 

"You're lying," he narrowed his eyes at me suspiciously. Schooling my expression, I shook my head. 

While we'd been talking, Kris had walked further into the small house towards... the bathroom. Fuck.  

I walked forward to cut him off and pushed him away slightly with the bat, "And where do you think you're going? I don't remember inviting you in." Suddenly, his eyes lit up in realization, "Your brother. You have a kid brother. You wouldn't be hiding him in here now would you?" Wow. Great going, Cassandra. Act a bit more defensive, why don't you? That's not suspicious at all. 

"At a friend's. Not that it's any of your business," I said, hoping that he was convinced. 

Kris looked behind me for a second, reminding me of his brother's presence. How could I forget? Before I could turn, the bat was yanked out of my grip and I felt a sharp pain at the back of my head, making me see stars. 

Fuck, I'm such an idiot. Rule one of fighting: Never turn your back on the enemy. 

Dazed, I felt Mark grab my hands and hold them behind me before he kicked the back of my legs, making me fall on my knees, "Now stay and shut up." I resisted the urge to claw him viciously for treating me like a wild animal.