Chapter 23 - "What she had to tell me was bigger than any pepperoni pizza"

[Cass's P.O.V]  

"Good night, asshole,” I whispered and dropped a small kiss on Dean's forehead. Leaning back into the seat, I sighed.  

I can't believe I'm actually going to do this.  Quite a few people were going to give me hell for dropping off the map and not maintaining contact.  

Despite that thought, not to mention the shit I’ve been putting up with recently, I dozed off peacefully... For once.  

~~~~~  

[Dean's P.O.V] 

Oh, fuck that hurt. I opened my eyes and after a few seconds, realized I wasn't in my bedroom.  

Oh right. Road trip. Cass.  

I sat up slowly, wary of my bruised ribs, and turned to check on Cass. 

She was on her side, facing me, in a fetal position with one hand tucked under her cheek and the other dangling off the seat. Her bottom lip jutted out in a small pout as she frowned. 

Because I was leaning back, I just had to stretch my hand out to touch hers. As soon as our skin made contact, Cass's hand closed over mine. Even unconscious, her touch sent a warm buzz through me. 

I reluctantly shook off her warm hand and tapped her face gently to wake her up.  

"Cass?"  

She wasn't budging. I tried a couple more times but she still didn't react except for tucking herself in tighter and mumbling something about more sleep. 

With an exasperated sigh, I shook her shoulder, "Cass! Cassie!" Suddenly, her eyes shot open as if I'd stabbed her.  

She murmured, "Cammie," then shook her head, probably to get rid of lingering thoughts. I made a mental note to ask her about this ‘Cammie’ person today if she didn’t mention them. 

Cass sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes before glancing at me. 

"Morning."  

I returned the greeting and we sat in silence, the only noises being our breathing and the short creak of the passenger seat when I pulled it back in its place. 

“Right. Do you want breakfast first, or is later fine?” she asked. I glanced at my phone and saw that it was only 8 a.m., probably the earliest I've been up on a weekend. Cass had been very specific about this date - 9 February... I wonder why. 

"I'm fine with later," I let her know. I felt that waiting till after breakfast would just be giving her more time to change her mind. 

"Let's get this show on the road then," Cass said, letting out a deep breath before climbing into the driver's seat. Yawning, she glanced at me. "We'll stop by a gas station first to freshen up."  

I nodded and buckled up as she pulled out onto the road. I looked out of the window and caught a sign that said '0.5 Miles to Jericho Valley'.  

                                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 Cass stopped the car, turned off  the engine and looked up at the roof, clearly lost in thought.  

 I looked around and noticed that we were in a less populated part of the town. I could see a large building next to a church about two blocks away from where we were. Closer to us, there were a few small shops, a grocery, a cafe and a book store.  

Cass got out of the car and walk to the front to lean on the hood. I winced slightly as I bent to get out of the car to join her. Last night's pain meds had already worn off and Doctor Cass wouldn't let me have any more until after breakfast.