Chapter 10 - "Why do you sound like you're sober?"

Here’s Chapter 10! I know the last one was really short but here’s a longer one to make up for it.

Enjoy my beauties. xD <3 It gets kind of intense.

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Cass’s P.O.V]

 I’ve been in this town for over two months now and had established a pattern of sorts. 

Two to three times a week Chase would stay out all night. I still woke up almost every other night (or really early morning if I was being technical about it) because of the nightmares and it was getting more frequent as November grew closer.

Dean and I had a couple more *cough* moments, since that one time in the stairwell but no one’s won so far.

Luke asked me out which I said ‘no’ to but he took it well and we were friends. Mariah had forced me to go shopping with her twice and was severely disappointed when all I'd bought was a new pair of sneakers and some new t-shirts.

I hung out with Dean, Jay and Al every day at lunch and I ditched with them a couple of times to go to Roxy’s which was the town’s best Diner. Their cheeseburgers are heavenly!

Dean and I hung out a few times and I learned a bit about him because he knew more about me than I did about him.

I learned that his dad left his mom because he found her area of work inappropriate and didn’t want it around their kids. I still don’t know what she did and Dean wouldn’t tell me. I wasn’t going to force him to tell me though because that would be hypocritical of me.

Dean had an older brother who was at college and would come to visit one weekend a month.

School was going fine. I was getting B-pluses and A-minuses so Chase wasn’t bugging me about them.

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the first week of November. I hadn’t done anything on Halloween despite my friends trying to convince me to go to the Halloween Dance at school.

Huh, friends. As in plural. It’s taken a little getting used to.

I had woken up nearly an hour after I fell asleep last night. I knew this week was going to be horrible.

I was having my morning coffee before heading to school when Chase asked me the question I’d been expecting since the beginning of the month.

“Cassie, are you okay? Do you want me to call you in sick?”

I shook my head ignoring the pounding in my head. “I’ll be fine.”

He gave me a look that said he knew I was lying.

“You’ll call me if something’s the matter right?”

I nodded and put my now empty cup in the sink. I kissed Chase’s cheek goodbye, grabbed my bag and walked to school.

“Hey Cass, you okay?” Luke asked me in the middle of Chemistry period after making sure Mr. Stone wasn’t looking at us.

“Yup.”

“You haven’t been yourself all week. Is something going on?”

“I’m fine.” I snapped at him.

He held up his hands in surrender and muttered, “Just asking, jeez.”

I massaged my temples. I knew it wasn’t his fault but I really didn’t have the patience or tolerance to apologize.