Chapter 40

PLAY SONG

(TUESDAY NIGHT)

I sighed as I threw my bag on the ground and kicked off my shoes after getting back from studying Angela's. I checked the time and saw it was 8:09 PM. I walked over to my closet and grabbed out my mom's favourite sweater. I held it in my hands staring at it before bringing it up to my nose and sniffed it.

I felt the tears fall from my eyes as the faintest smell of her perfume filled my nose. I hugged the sweater to my chest as I covered my mouth. I took in a deep breath as I walked over to my bed and grabbed her urn from my bedside table. "Grace Marie Rowe" I whispered as I traced her name. I grabbed her sweater and the urn walking over to my window sill.

I sat down on the seat and placed the earn on my window sill as I hugged the sweater to my chest. I heard a soft knock on the door and was shocked to see Esme standing with Danielle. "Hi Mal" She said softly and I gave a small smile. "I'll give you guys some privacy" Danielle said before she closed the door gently behind her and I heard her walk away.

"I came to see if you were alright. Emmett has gone for a quick hunt with his brothers but he promised he'd be here after he gets back" said Esme as she walked over to me, sitting at my feet. "Thank you" I whispered as the tears filled my eyes. "Oh Mal. Come here" She said before wrapping me in a tight hug and I closed my eyes letting the tears flow as Esme held me for a few moments.

We pulled away and she brought her hands to my face wiping my tears with her thumbs. "I just can't believe it almost been a year already" I said shaking my head slightly. "I know. I know exactly how you're feeling which is why I wanted to see you. I didn't want you to feel alone" Esme replied and I nodded.

"It just kills me that, a year ago she was still alive right now. She was still here. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was in her hospital room sitting right beside her. We had just finished the Chinese I had snuck in because she hated the hospital food. I can remember, she was brushing my hair like old times as we watched an episode of Friends on the TV. I don't know why but on this night, she was back to her old self. I thought maybe it was her getting better. I remember lying my head on her bed falling asleep with her running her fingers through my hair gently. That was the last time I saw or heard her alive" I whimpered fighting back a sob.

"I'm so sorry Malory" Esme said as she held my hands in hers, a look of sorrow on her face. After a while, Esme left. I placed my moms urn on my bedside table and turned off my light before climbing into my bed. I began to cuddle her sweater when I felt my bed dip and turned to see Emmett. I rolled over and buried my face in his chest trying not to cry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I awoke the next morning and turned to the time. It was 5 AM. I covered my eyes as I began to cry. On this day, at this time, 1 year ago exactly, my mom passed away in her sleep. After a few hours of lying there, looking up at my ceiling, I got up and changed into some black jeans, a sweater and threw my hair into a messy ponytail. I slipped my shoes on and grabbed my bag walking downstairs.

I walked out of the house and out to my car. I unlocked it before climbing in and sighed as I buckled my seatbelt. I rested my head on the steering wheel as I fought back the tears. I blinked a few times and took in a deep breath before pulling out of the driveway and heading to school. As I drove a memory flashed through my mind.

*Flashback*

Mom and I were in the car on the way to school jamming out to some song that was playing on the radio. We both burst into a fit of giggles as the song ended and I turned to my mom. "Hey mom?" I said grabbing her attention and she turned to me as we stopped at a red light. "Yeah?" She replied.

"Do you ever wish that you were married or anything?" I said and she scrunched her eyebrows before shaking her head. "I learned a valuable lesson from my mom growing up. She often chose her boyfriends over me and I always swore that when I had a kid or kids, nothing would come before them. Not a man, not a job. Nothing. Besides, I don't need a man. I have you and that's all I care about. You're the best thing that ever happened to me Mal" She said as she placed her hand on mine and I smiled.

"You're the best mom ever" I replied and she smirked before flipping her. "I know" She said sassily before we burst into laughter.

*End of flashback*

I wiped my fallen tear and pulled into the school parking lot. I turned off my car before climbing out walking through the rain into the school. I headed straight to the music room closing the door behind me. I walked over to the piano and placed my bag down grabbing my music book and began playing some random keys before beginning to play my song.

After I finished I covered my face as I began to sob. "Babe?" I heard the familiar voice of Emmett said and looked up to see him. I rose from my seat as he walked over to me and I walked right into his open arms continuing to sob as he held me. "I thought I could do it. I thought I could handle this and be strong but I just can't!" I cried.

"Shhhh. It's ok babe. You're hurting and you have every right to cry your heart out. You lost a very important person in your life. Don't ever feel like you should be ashamed for how you feel" Emmett said as I cried. "Let's skip today alright? I'll take you somewhere" Emmett said and I nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After skipping school with Emmett I headed home. I parked my car in the driveway before climbing out and walking up the steps to the door. I walked in and saw Danielle in the kitchen reading the mail. "Hey" I said as I hung my coat up on the rack. "Hey. How was your day?" She asked as she looked up at me smiling. "Uh ok I guess" I said before heading for the stairs.

"Oh Malory! A letter came for you" Danielle said as she walked over to me. "A letter came for me?" I said confused and she nodded. She handed it to me and I took it looking at it suspiciously. "Malory Rowe, 265, Ridge Avenue" I read as I walked up the stairs to my room. I closed my door behind me and threw my bag down before sitting on my bed.

I cautiously looked over the letter once more before ripping it open and beginning to read what it said.

Dear Malory,

I hope you got this letter in time. You're probably wondering who this letter is from. My name is Marcus Henderson. I'm your father. I know this is very out of the blue for me to contact you but I thought I was time that I reached out. I'm coming into Forks on Thursday for a business trip but I was hoping to meet you. If you want to, please meet me at the Carver Cafe in town at 6:30 pm Thursday night. I would really love to talk to you. If you need to contact me, my phone number is 555-7632-805.

Sincerely,

Your father.