Chapter 17

Death is not the opposite of life. It's apart of it. Life is a brief intermission between birth and death. Death was easy. Painless. Life is harder.

I groaned as my eyes fluttered open. "Malory?" A gentle voice said and I turned to see Danielle leaning over me, her face laced with concern. "Where's...Where's Emmett?" I breathed and she gave a small smile. "Over there fast asleep. He hasn't left your bed side since you arrived here" She said and I turned to see Emmett pretending to be asleep on the couch a few feet away.

"What happened?" I said slightly dazed. "You don't remember?" Danielle said and I shook my head. "After you left, Emmett went to find you and bring you home. On your way back you got into a horrible car accident after swerving away from a deer. You guys swerved off the road and hit a tree. You went through the wind shield. You got a bad cut your head and a cut on your wrist. A huge shard of glass stabbed you in your right thigh severing your artery. Broke your foot. You also got some small cuts on your body after landing on the glass" Danielle explained and memories of James's attack flashed through my mind.

"Oh yeah. I remember now" I said as I averted my eyes. "Oh we were so worried about you. After the accident, Emmett who only just made it out called his father and he managed to help you on the scene and brought you here. You've been out for 3 days" Danielle said. "Danielle, I'm so sorry for what I said to you. You didn't deserve that" I said and she gave me a small smile.

"It's ok Malory. I know you didn't mean it. You were upset and I was pushing you. Let's just forget about it ok?" She said and I nodded. She leaned forward kissing my forehead before standing up. "I'll go find a nurse ok? I'll be back" Danielle said and I nodded before she left my room closing the door behind me.

I turned and saw Emmett walk over to me. "Emmett!" I exclaimed. "I'm so glad you're ok. I dint think you'd make it" Emmett said as he sat on the chair beside my bed, holding my hand in his. "So what happened?" I asked. "Alice, Jasper and Damon killed him. Burned him to pieces. He's gone. But his redheaded girlfriend is still in the area so we're hunting her down" Emmett explained and I nodded.

"You saved me" I said as I squeezed his hand. "Only just. I thought I wasn't going to be able to stop. I nearly killed you" Emmett said. "But you didn't. I'm alive because of you" I said. "Malory, I'm so sorry for causing this. I'm not good for you" Emmett said as he hung his head. "Emmett-""No! Malory. I-I don't think we should be together anymore for your safety" Emmett said and I gasped as tears filled my eyes.

"WH-What?! You're just gonna leave me?! Wha-I-I-You can't! Emmett please don't leave me. Please" I cried. "Shhh shhh. I'm sorry Malory. I'm not going anywhere" Emmett said as he leaned forward caressing my face and I nodded. "Never say something like that to me again" I said and Emmett nodded before leaning forward gently pressing his lips to mine.

We pulled away and I leaned my forehead against his. "I'll never leave your side again" Emmett said and I nodded. "I love you so much" Emmett said. "I love you too" I replied.