Chapter Four

I was at my locker when I felt someone standing over my shoulder. I turned around to see one of the guys that always picks on Matt. I found out that his name is Austin.

"Hey babe, what are you doing after school today?" Austin said while smirking

"I am not your babe." I said and tried walking away

"Come on, come over to my place"

"No way"

I pushed him off of me and walked to my class. I took my seat next to Matt, who was already there. He seemed off today. I mean more off then he usually was. I just want him to be able to talk to me, I want to let him know that I am hear to listen.

"Hey Matt" I said

No response.

"Are you okay?" I asked, even if he did answer he would just lie anyways

But no response, again.

The class seemed to drag on forever. When the bell finally rang, Matt ran out and I grabbed my stuff and quickly followed him. I grabbed his shoulder as he walked down the hallway.

"Remember what I told you yesterday? You don't have to be afraid to talk to me." I said

Austin saw and walked over.

"What are you doing with this freak?" he asked and pushed Matt against the locker.

"Don't call him that!" I yelled

"What are you going to do about it" he said this time letting go of Matt and pinning me up against the lockers

I was up against the lockers and I looked at Matt and mouthed 'Go.' Matt got up and ran away from Austin. Someone pulled me away from Austin I turned around and saw Nash.

"Let's go to class Sophia" he said and gave Austin a death glare

After we got far enough away that Austin wouldn't hear Nash got pissed.

"I knew it was a bad idea to let you hang out with Matt. I knew this would happen. I think it's best if you stay away from him."

"Nash, it isn't Matt's fault so don't blame this on him. The kid has it rough and all he needs is another person going against him, okay!" I yell

_____

After school Nash drove me to Matt's house. A woman opened the door.

"Hi, I'm here to work on a project with Matt" I said

"Oh hi, I'm Matt's mom you can call me Laura" she replied

"I'm Sophia" I said

"That's a beautiful name. You can find Matt in his room, upstairs make a right and it's the first door on the right."

"Thanks"

I walked upstairs to Matt's room and saw him on his bed.

"Hey" I said as I walked through the door

He didn't say anything. I know he is quiet I just don't get why he won't talk to me.

"Do you want to tell me what's bothering you?" I asked

"No" he replied quietly

"I promise I won't tell anyone"

"I just don't want to talk about it" he yelled "Let's just do this project"

We almost finished reading the book today but it started getting late so we decided to call a quits for the night. I texted Nash to come pick me up, so I just sat there with Matt in an awkward silence. Matt's mom walked in the room.

"Sophia, would you like to join us for dinner?" she asked

"My brother is on his way to pick me up but thank you for the offer" I smiled and she walked out

A few minutes later Nash texted me that he was here. Finally. I was about to walk out of Matt's room when I stopped.

"Matt" I said and he looked up from his phone "If you decide you want to talk, call me."

I walked out before he had the chance to say anything.