Chapter Three

I woke up a little early this morning so I showered, dried and cruled my hair. I put on foundation, eyeliner and mascara. I decided to actually try and look nice today so I put on a dress, it was a strapless, black dress that went a little above my knees.

I grabbed my bag and went down to Nash's car and we drove off to school. I walked in and saw the same group of guys making fun of Matt. I was about to walk over when Nash stopped me. Again.

"Please just stay away from that. I don't want-" Nash said

"I get it but how can we just leave the poor kid like that. I feel bad for him." I sighed

"Come on let's go." he said and pulled me to my locker

I grabbed my stuff and Nash walked me to my class.He's making it pretty obvious he doesn't want me around Matthew when those guys are there. I sat down in my seat in English but Matthew wasn't there. I spent the whole class watching the door hoping he would walk through but he didn't

After class I decided to text him. I put his number in my phone and sent him a text.

(M-Matthew, S-Sophia)

S- Hey it's Sophia, I was just wondering if I am still coming over after school today

M- Um yeah

S- Okay I'll meet you at your house around three

_____

The day went by quick. I saw Matthew a few times during the day but I didn't talk to him. I walked to my locker and then out to Nash's car. Nash pulled up in front of the house. It was huge. His family definetly had some money.

"Call me when you're done. I'll come pick you up" he said

"Okay"

I got out of the car and knocked on the door, Matthew answered. He invited me in and then walked towards the kitchen. He was limping.

"Matthew, are you okay?" I asked

He mumbled something under his breath.

"You don't have to be afraid to talk to me" I said

"Matt, call me Matt" he said

Wow the first words he has actually said to me.

"Okay, well are you okay, Matt?"

"Yeah" he replied

He turned towards me and I saw blood running down his leg.

"What happened?" I asked

"I-I uh fell uh off my penny board"

I didn't believe a word of that but I didn't want to push him. I had a feeling those guys did something to him.

"Here let me help you." I said

I pulled a chair over from the table and he sat down. I grabbed a paper towel off the counter and ran it under warm water. I wiped the blood off of his leg.

"Uh, thanks" he said

"You're welcome" I smiled at him

_____

Matt and I worked on our project. We decided we would read "The Hunger Games" for our report. All we did today was start reading it. He actually smiled a couple of times. But inside I could see sadness. He could fake a smile but I could tell he wasn't actually happy.

I just wish I could do something so he would be happy he's actually a really nice kid but no one gives him a chance. Once society labels you, you can't escape it.

I texted Nash that I was ready and he texted me back that he was on his way. Matt and I sat on our phones waiting for Nash to come and get me.

"Do you want to work on the project again tomorrow?" I asked

"Um, sure. You can meet me here at 3?"

"Sure that's perfect"

My phone buzzed and saw that Nash was here.

"I'll see you tomorrow Matt" I said and left

I walked out and got in the front seat of Nash's car.

"How was the project?" Nash asked

"It was good" I answered

I went home and ate dinner. I went to my room after that and wrote in my journal. Then I picked out my outfit for the next day. I decided on crashing early so I went to bed.