20 - Fighting It

“Happy New Year, Rachel.”   

I peered down at her, waiting for a sign ...yes or no?  I wasn’t dumb enough to think I could walk away from this night without a fight, but a guy could dream, right?  I saw her eyes drift closed as I bent my head down. I licked my lips in anticipation of feeling hers.

“I thought you said you didn’t like blondes.”

Fuck.

My eyes snapped open to find Rachel glaring up at me.  Just ignore it and kiss her anyway.  When I leaned in for the second time, I was met with her hand pressed firmly against my chest.  “I already told you that you can’t fix everything this way,” she reminded me.

I pulled back, looking at her face with a furrowed brow.  “Are we really doing this?”

She crossed her arms over her chest and scowled.  “What do you think?”

I tipped my head up to the sky and watched the fireworks overhead before I spoke again.  “I just want my New Year’s kiss, Rachel. Is that too much to ask?”

“I think it is.”

I stepped back, clenched my jaw and nodded.  “Okay then. Let’s fight, by all means.” I stretched my arms, lacing by fingers together and cracked my knuckles.

“Now you’re just being an asshole,” she observed snarkily.

“Did you you just meet me?”

She sighed deeply and shook her head.  “Just tell me about the girl I saw you with.”

“Why?” I threw my hands up in frustration.  “She doesn’t matter. Josh acting like a dickhead doesn’t matter.  Seeing you in Embry’s arms doesn’t matter. None of this shit does.”

“You were jealous of Embry?”

“No!” I answered a little defensively.  “I’m not jealous of anybody when I know you’re going home with me,” I replied, cocky as ever.

“Don’t be so sure…”

“Oh really?” I challenged, leaning toward her, trapping her against the Bronco with my arms on either side of her head.

“Paul…” she warned.

“I told that girl to quit calling me.  She was pissed because I brought you to this party and not her.  She won’t take a hint.”

Rachel blinked quickly and peered up at me sadly.  “Were you planning on bringing her to this party?”

“I never asked her to come.  She was threatening to confront you and tell you…” I paused and sucked in a deep breath.

“That you’ve been fucking her?”

“I haven’t stuck my dick in her, if that’s what you’re asking.”