8 - Confused

"Hey."

"Hey yourself," he sighed, sporting that killer smile and clad only in a pair of flannel pajama pants with the waistband of his boxer briefs showing. This was gonna be harder than I thought.

I entered his house, carefully slipping past him and avoiding contact with him. "I'm not staying," I announced bluntly.

Paul leaned against the back of the door and looked confused. "O...kay? Did you get caught sneaking out or something?"

I stood in the middle of the living room with my arms folded over my chest. "Sort of...actually my dad was waiting for me."

"Oh?"

"What have you been telling my dad?"

Paul blinked quickly. "I asked your dad if you could stay the night. He said it was fine."

"And?"

"And what?" he asked, sounding mildly irritated.

"Are you messing with my dad's head?"

"How would I be doing that?"

"Did you tell my dad that you wanna be with me?"

Paul glanced down at the floor for a moment and sighed. "Your dad asked me, a while ago, what was going on between us. I said we were friends, but he didn't buy it," he paused and swallowed thickly. "He asked me if I wanted a relationship with you."

"What did you say? Paul...what did you tell him?" I asked, my temper flaring.

Paul clenched his jaw and scowled. "Did you want me to lie?"

I advanced on him, grabbing his shoulders and shaking him. "What did you say?!"

"Yes, Rachel! I said yes...I want you. Of course I want more!"

I backed away slowly, shaking my head. "How could you do that?"

"What did I do...other than tell the truth?"

"This is what I'm talking about...messing with my dad's head. So you guys were plotting together to get me to stay here...to quit school?"

"I never asked you to do that. I never would! I know what getting your degree means to you. I would never keep you from your dream, Rachel," he said, his tone softer now. He approached me cautiously, reaching for my face. I jerked away and sat on the couch, needing the space to think.

He gave me a frustrated sigh as he sat on the arm of the couch, his feet on the seat. I felt his fingers in my hair and I leaned toward him. "I didn't mean...I don't even know what I did wrong," he breathed, pulling me close to him.

"My dad has been trying to get me to be with someone on the reservation. He wants me to have ties to the tribe so I won't leave. I have a plan and I'm not changing it, for anything. I will graduate from college."