Chapter 10

“So, is this why you’re locked up?” Victoria asked.

“No, everyone thinks I’m suicidal” Pasliee complained.

“Are you?” Victoria asked.

“Of course not!” Pasliee exclaimed, even though she didn’t really know.

“Simon doesn’t believe you?”

“No”

“You dad doesn’t believe you?”

“No”

“Well, I believe you” Victoria informed her. Pasliee smiled and hugged her.

“I want to show you my room” Victoria said and pulled her down the hall. The second to last room, on the left was Victoria’s. There were two beds, an empty beside table and a giant, square window.

“All the rooms are the same, blue, drab and boring” Victoria muttered. Pasliee noticed the walls, bedspreads and pillows were light blue.

“So, where’s your room?” Victoria asked.

“I don’t know” Pasliee answered. A nurse walked in with a brown box labeled Pasliee and sat it down on the left bed.

“Oh Pasliee, I see you’ve found your room” the nurse said. She turned around and opened the bathroom door.

“Just checking” she sweetly said. Victoria shot her a glare.

“Oh, Pasliee your therapist, Dr. Hulu would like to see you” the nurse said and walked out of the room.

“A therapist?” Pasliee turned to Victoria, confused.

“Just go” Victoria said. Pasliee walked out of her room and over to Dr. Hulu’s office. He was a bald Pilipino middle aged man with a red gem on his forehead.

“Pasliee, please come in, sit” Dr. Hulu cheerfully said. Pasliee sat down on the navy blue couch.

“Do you prefer Pasliee or Miss. Leighton?” he asked. Pasliee stared at him, uncomfortable, scared and confused. 

“Miss. Leighton, you don’t have to be scared of me or us. We all just want to help you and keep you healthy and happy” Dr. Hulu soothingly said. Pasliee’s stare turned into a glare and she looked down.

“Pasliee is there anything you want to tell me?” Dr. Hulu asked. Pasliee didn’t respond.

“Do you maybe want to talk about something?” Dr. Hulu asked. Pasliee didn’t respond.     

“What about…you…father?” he asked and Pasliee glared at him.

“What about your brother…Simon-” he stopped noticing tears in Pasliee’s eyes. She looked away and wiped a few tears.

“Did something happen between you and Simon?” he asked. Pasliee looked out the door and then down.

“Do you want to end this session?” he asked and Pasliee nodded.

“Okay, you may leave” Dr. Hulu said with a sigh. Pasliee stood up and sped back into her room, slamming the door and sliding down to the floor in tears. Victoria was able to open the door, just enough to pop her head in. She looked down at a sobbing Pasliee.

“Pasliee, what happened?” Victoria asked. Pasliee didn’t respond.

“Is this about Simon?” Victoria asked which only made Pasliee cry harder, answering her question.

“Do you want to talk?” Victoria asked and Pasliee shook her head.

“To me?” Victoria asked and Pasliee nodded.

“Can you move so I can come in?” Victoria asked.

“Yeah” Pasliee answered and scooted over to the center of the floor. Victoria walked in and over to Pasliee, sitting down.

“Simon doesn’t believe you, is that why you’re upset?” Victoria guessed.

“He abandoned me!” Pasliee sobbed.

“That can’t be true” Victoria disagreed.

“Every time we see each other, he gives me this look of hate…like I’m a demon who ruined his life and then just ignores me!” Pasliee insisted.

“Wow” Victoria muttered and exhaled, “Well, I’m still here for you and I will never abandon you”.

“Thanks, that means a lot” Pasliee sniffled.

“But you still miss Simon don’t you?’ Victoria guessed and Pasliee nodded.

“Have you talked to him?” Victoria asked and Pasliee shook her head.

“I tried…but the closer I get to him, he’s always two steps away. I just…I just miss him so much” Pasliee looked out the window with a blank stare.

“Well, just tell him” Victoria suggested.

“He’s abandoned me, he thinks I’ve gone crazy and doesn’t care about me anymore” Pasliee complained.

“Pasliee, breath!” Victoria ordered when she noticed Pasliee almost silently hyperventilating. Pasliee inhaled and exhaled a few times until her breathing returned back to normal.

“Simon probably misses you to…but I’m here for you” Victoria re-assured her.

“Thanks” Pasliee muttered, laying her head on Victoria’s shoulder.