Chapter 11

“Um, Victoria…they can’t keep us here forever, can they?” Pasliee asked.

“No of course not” Victoria answered. That calmed Pasliee down a bit.

“My friend’s mom is actually coming to check me out in three days” Victoria informed her.

“Oh” Pasliee muttered.

“Don’t be so sad, your father and Simon will probably miss you so badly that he’ll probably sign you out by tomorrow, two days top” Victoria tried to re-assure her.

“They don’t love me anymore” Pasliee muttered with a sigh.

“Don’t say that!” Victoria ordered.

“Simon suggested that I spend three nights here and my dad agreed, there will be a few more boxes for me and then I’ll be put up for adoption like some homeless cat!” Pasliee predicted. Victoria looked down.

“I’m sorry I-” Pasliee apologized and Victoria wiped away the few tears.

“I just…didn’t know that you were-” Pasliee tried to explain.

“Adopted? It’s okay” Victoria finished for her and walked out of the room. That night, Pasliee had another nightmare. She was in the hall by Simon’s locker at school with Stacy, Tracy and Simon. Halfway down the longer than usual hallway, she tripped and fell to the floor. She felt something grab her feet, something like hands.

“Simon!” Pasliee yelled. He turned to her, they looked into each other’s eyes and then he turned away.

“Simon, look at me!” Pasliee ordered. She was suddenly being pulled away.

“No!” Pasliee screamed, struggling but it was no use. She was still being pulled away.

“No…no…no!” Pasliee screamed as she was pulled into a wall. She woke up, screaming for Simon.

“Simon!” she screamed and instantly burst into tears. Victoria sat up, startled and turned to Pasliee.

“Pasliee, was that you?” Victoria asked and Pasliee nodded.

“I’m sorry” Pasliee apologized. Victoria got out of her bed and sat next to Pasliee, hugging her tightly. A nurse walked in and over to Pasliee with a cup.

“Miss. Leighton, are you okay?” she asked.

“Can I call my dad?” Pasliee asked.

“Pasliee, it’s two a.m., I highly doubt that your father would be awake. Why don’t you wait until seven to call him?” the nurse suggested.

“Please! Please! Please!” Pasliee begged and pleaded until the nurse finally gave in.

“Okay, fine!” the nurse agreed with an annoyed sigh. Pasliee got out of bed and followed the nurse to the front desk. Dr. Hulu was sitting in one of the chairs, the other three were empty.

“Miss. Leighton has requested to call her father” the nurse informed Dr. Hulu stared at Pasliee for a few seconds and then sighed.

“Number?” Dr. Hulu asked.