Chapter 19

When they got into the classroom, Pasliee once again burst into tears and Simon once again pulled her into a tight, loving hug. After school, Simon met Pasliee at her locker.

“Pasliee, I can’t walk you home” Simon couldn’t think of an easier way to tell Pasliee.

“Oh!” Pasliee kept her smile up.

“Stacy, Tracy, Dylan, Zack…we have something to do…I’ll talk to Stacy and Tracy about…whatever happened between you three later” Simon muttered the last part. Pasliee hugged him, tightly wrapping her arms around him.

“You’re not mad…or upset?” Simon asked.

“Of course not” Pasliee lied, her smile wiggling. Simon felt a few tears drop on his shoulder.

“Pasliee, if you don’t want me to go-” Simon began to say. Pasliee let go of him and turned back to her locker.

“Just go!” Pasliee was struggling to keep her tone nice and happy, even though she kind of snapped at him.

“Okay” Simon said and walked off. After a few seconds, Pasliee burst into tears and Valerie walked over to her.

“Did you tell him?” Victoria asked.

“I tried but I couldn’t” Pasliee sobbed.

“So, what’s the problem?” Victoria asked.

“Simon was supposed to walk me home but he can’t because he’s going somewhere with Stacy, Tracy, Dylan and Zack” Pasliee sobbed.

“Is he going to talk to them?” Victoria asked.

“He said he would when they were alone” Pasliee answered.

“What about Dylan and Zack?” Victoria asked.

“Why them?” Pasliee asked.

“If Simon was never born they would be all over you” Victoria answered. Pasliee thought for a second before realization hit. She remembered the way every guy couldn’t keep their eyes off her the first day of high school and cringed.

“I’ll walk you home” Victoria offered.

“Thanks” Pasliee accepted.

“I’m here for you, Pasliee” Victoria reminded her, grabbing her hand.

“I know” Pasliee said with a smile. Victoria wiped away the rest of Pasliee’s tears and the two headed for Pasliee’s house. When the two got there, the house was empty. Victoria followed Pasliee upstairs into her room. Victoria took notice of Pasliee’s room. The blue paint, the black and blue King sized bed in the middle of the room, the mahogany wood computer desk with a laptop and the plush pink carpet. The two sat down on the bed.

“So, you’re here alone?” Victoria asked.

“Sometimes Simon is here but usually he’s here later” Pasliee answered.

“What about your dad?” Victoria asked.

“He usually works late” Pasliee answered.

“Can I ask you something a bit deeper?” Victoria asked.

“Sure” Pasliee answered.

“About your mother” Victoria added and Pasliee stared at her with a vacant look in her eyes but didn’t respond.

“I just saw her picture downstairs and…” Victoria stopped herself, letting her words drift off.

“What do you want to know?” Pasliee asked, the happiness gone.

“Where is she?” Victoria asked.

“Locked up in the StoneCanyonMental Hospital” Pasliee answered.

“What’s she in for?” Victoria asked.

“For almost killing me when I was six” Pasliee answered. Victoria stared at her and then laughed a bit.

“No way! You must be kidding me!” Victoria exclaimed.

“Yeah…right…just kidding!” Pasliee mumbled, pasting a smile on her face. Pasliee sniffled and wiped a few tears.

“You’re just kidding right?” Victoria asked, not believing this was a joke.

“Yeah, you know what? Never mind!” Pasliee said, getting up.

“Pasliee-” Victoria felt tears well up in her eyes.

“No, it was just…so stupid! I never should’ve told you!” Pasliee yelled. By this time, she was hyperventilating and wobbling.

“Pasliee!” Victoria got up and ran over to her. She hugged Pasliee, who burst into tears.

“I’m so sorry!” Victoria apologized, feeling horrible. They stayed like that for a few seconds.

“What happened?” Victoria asked. Pasliee told Victoria the story.

“That must be why you’re always around Simon, he’s your safe point” Victoria said.

“Yeah” Pasliee said.

“That must be why Simon has that indescribable love for you, you can’t go back after seeing your little sister die and be reborn” Victoria muttered.

“Yeah” Pasliee said.

“So, have you Simon ever had a fight before?” Victoria asked.

“Tons” Pasliee answered with a smile and giggle. “Before Mom died” Pasliee muttered, suddenly feeling sad again.      

“So, you’re mom’s been locked up since you were six?” Victoria asked.

“Yeah” Pasliee answered.

“Hey, you want to spy on your brother?” Victoria asked, hoping that would cheer her up.

“Simon wouldn’t like that” Pasliee muttered.

“But doesn’t Simon do things you don’t like?” Victoria pointed out.

“Well, no…not really…well’ kind of but I need him” Pasliee answered.

“Simon is your safe point, your light” Victoria remembered.

“Yeah, he is” Pasliee muttered.

“Is that the reason you only talked to Simon in middle school?” Victoria asked.

“What?” Pasliee had stopped listening for a moment.

“I noticed that in middle school you only talked to Simon” Victoria remembered.

“Yeah” Pasliee muttered.

“Is that because is your safe point and you feel he’s the only one you can trust?” Victoria asked.

“It started out that way and then I just got into the habit of only talking to Simon” Pasliee answered.

“Oh” Victoria said.

“We’re good friends, right?” Pasliee answered.

“More” Victoria answered and Pasliee smiled.

“Would you mind spending the night with me?” Pasliee asked.

“What about Simon?” Victoria asked.

“I’m not sure he’ll be back” Pasliee answered.

“And what if he does?” Victoria asked.

“Then, he doesn’t have to worry about me” Pasliee answered.

“Okay, I’ll spend the night with you” Victoria agreed.

“Great!” Pasliee cheered. That night when Simon walked into his room around twelve, he saw Pasliee and Victoria in his bed. They were under the covers, holding each other. Simon glared at the sight of the two, mostly at Victoria.