Chapter 29

“Victoria” Simon called, just before the door slammed. Simon turned to Pasliee, who was shaking and wrapped his arms around her and pulling into a tight hug.

“Sh, Pasliee, you’re safe!” Simon said, rubbing her back. She removed her hands from her hand and shook her hand.

“Pasliee, you’re safe! I’m here and I won’t let anything hurt you, I promise!” Simon re-assured her. She stopped shaking and crying and looked up at Simon.

“I’m scared!” Pasliee said.

“No need to be when I’m around” Simon kissed her forehead.

“You’ll still spend the night with me?” Pasliee asked.

“Of course” Simon answered. Pasliee sighed. That night when the two were in Simon’s bed, their arms tightly wrapped around each other, Simon asked Pasliee a very important question.

“Should I be friends with Stacy and Tracy?” Simon asked.

“Yeah” Pasliee answered.

“Why?” Simon asked. Pasliee didn’t know how to answer that question. All Stacy and Tracy ever did was hurt and embarrass her. Pasliee tried to answer that but when she opened her mouth, no words came out. She started to cry, not thinking about wiping the tears from her face.

“I don’t have to be friends with them. They can’t hurt you when I’m around” Simon told her.

“You should still be friends with them” Pasliee decided.

“Are you scared of them? They have nothing against you” Simon said.

“Well…yes, they do” Pasliee informed him.

“What do they have to use against you?” Simon asked.

“I can’t tell you-” Pasliee started to say.

“Can’t or what?” Simon asked.

“Simon, I don’t want to talk about this” Pasliee muttered.

“Okay, fine” Simon mumbled back.

“Just please be friends with them” Pasliee begged. When Simon didn’t respond, Pasliee added, “For your sweet, loving little sister”

“Alright, fine but I won’t like it!” Simon sourly said. Pasliee smiled and giggled a bit, happy to have on her side.

“I love you, big brother” Pasliee said.

“I love you, too, baby sister” Simon responded. Pasliee’s eyes closed and she went to sleep.