Kabanata 49

Kabanata 49

Stranger 

Tob walked to the door with a sour mood. He wasn't expecting any visitor in this early time of the day.

There was a loud knock again and he cursed under his breath. He opened the door forcefully. 

"Lo and behold!" Josyn greeted and hugged him like they've never seen each other for a long time. 

"Why are you here?" 

Umiling si Josyn pero nakangisi. "Na miss lang kita. Hindi ka naman ma-contact eh. You've isolated yourself  for the rest of the world just like before." 

Nagtagis ang kanyang bagang. 

"Are you done with your paintings?" Nagsalita itong muli nang nanatili siyang tahimik.

"Almost. Baka matapos na by the end of this month." 

"That's good to hear. Ready na ang venue for the art exhibition. We'll ship the paintings once you're done." 

"You don't have to do that. I changed my mind. I wanted to do the exhibit here in Cebu. I don't want to travel to Manila." 

Natigilan si Josyn.

"Eh bakit hindi mo kaagad sinabi?"

"I was about to tell you one of these days," he shrugged. 

Bakas ang inis sa mukha ni Josyn.

"Okay. Ako na ang bahala basta tapusin mo lang ang mga paintings." Huminto ito sandali at sumulyap sa loob ng cabin. "Hindi mo ba ako papasukin?"

Tob sighed. "Come in."

He led Josyn to the living room. Umupo ito na parang may-ari ng bahay. 

"Can I see the paintings?" Tob glared at him. "Well if you don't want to then it's okay."

Without saying a word, he walked toward the studio and Josyn followed behind. He opened the door and remained standing at the entrance while his friend went inside. 

Josyn was speechless upon staring at the canvasses. Tob never failed to impress him. His ability and talent are out of this world. Nakaramdam siya ng pighati para sa kaibigan. Most of the paintings were Fej images. 

Isang taon na rin matapos ang malagim na insidente. Tob was being beaten to death. Buti at tama naman ang address na ibinigay noong gagong Shawn. He thought Fej would be there. They were planning to meet outside of the abandoned mill but she never came and Shawn was also not there anymore. 

Isinugod nila si Tob sa ospital at makailang contact ang ginawa niya pero walang sumasagot sa linya ni Fej. Iba na ang kutob niya. He did everything to find out about Fej but there was none. Pero may balita kay Shawn. Namatay ito sa isang car accident. Ayon sa balita ay sumalpok ang sasakyan ni Shawn sa isang truck. Walang balita kung may babae itong kasama. Mag-isa lang itong nakita sa sasakyan. 

He dig deeper because the accident didn't really make sense. Base sa kanyang imbestigasiyon, ay hindi kay Shawn ang sasakyan. It was Fej's car but the question was, where was she? Anong nangyari rito? Bakit naglaho na lang ito na parang bula. Nangmakarecover si Tob sa ospital ay hindi niya alam kung paano sasabihin sa kaibigan ang lahat ng nangyari.

"Where is Fej?" 

Hindi siya makatingin sa kaibigan. 

"Josyn? Tell me!" 

"Hindi ko alam. She was nowhere to be found. I'm sorry." 

"No...no... How about Shawn? What happened to him?" Tob began to panicked.