Kabanata 5

Kabanata 5

Darkness

"SHIT!" Malutong na mura ni Fej sabay talikod. 

Damn! He was just having a bath for Christ sake! And that nurse ...

Nanggigigil na siya ngayon sa pinaghalong inis at galit.

Bakit ba kasi halos maghahatinggabi na nito naisipang maligo?

"Why are you here anyway in the middle of the night? And who are you? You were the woman earlier right?" His voice was more threatening now.

"T-he nurse just dragged me here to help her out. A-kala niya kung ano na ang ginawa mo rito sa loob and don't worry I'm just a ... nobody so you don't have to know my n-ame," pilit niyang pinagalit ang boses kahit na nauutal siya. 

She waited for his reply but there was none. 

"I-m sorry ..." She said after the long silence. "I gotta go."  

Fej couldn't stand to spend anymore seconds with him. She inhaled deeply and held the door knob but before she could turn the door opened, a cold hand held her right arm.

Muntikan na siyang mapaharap dito buti na lang at maagap siyang nakabalanse. 

"W-ait ..." He said in low voice and she hinted hesitation the way he uttered the word wait. 

Parang kung may anong init ang bumalot sa kanyang tiyan. 

"Can you get my clothes? I forgot to bring them."

So ito siguro and dahilan kung bakit hindi pa ito lumalabas. The nurse was just overreacting indeed. Pero bakit hindi na lang nito inutusan ang nurse na ipakuha ang mga damit?

This guy is really something. 

"O-kay. Just wait here."

He let go of her arm and she went outside. Nadatnan niya ang nurse na hindi mapakali at pabalik-balik ng lakad. Mabilis itong lumapit nang makita ang paglabas niya. 

"So ano na po?" 

Binigyan niya ito ng isang hilaw na ngiti. 

"Everything's fine. Pwede ka ng umalis. Ako ng bahala rito," matigas na sambit niya. 

Napayuko ang nurse.

"O-kay po Mam at sorry po sa abala," mabilis nitong sambit at umalis na. 

May nakita siyang cabinet malapit sa refrigerator. Ngayon niya lang napansin na mas maganda ang kwarto nito. May maliit na living room at isang maliit na kwarto para tulugan ng bisita.

She wondered where was his family? Mag-isa lang kasi ito simula pa kanina. 

Kumuha siya ng white t-shirt, brown shorts at ehem ... brief. Tsk, walang malisya 'to no. 

"Wala ba talaga?" Tudyo ng kasulok-sulukan ng utak niya.  

Kumatok si Fej sa pinto at bahagyang binuksan ito sapat lang na maipasok ang dalang damit. 

"Here take this." 

Kinuha nito ang damit at isinarado niya pagkatapos. She went to the sofa and waited. Ilang sandali pa ay lumabas na ito mula sa cr. Lumingon siya at she saw him slowly walking towards her. Alam ba nito kung nasaan siya?

Her heart constricted when she realized that he was really blind. Sa kabila ng pagkabulag nito, he could managed on his own. She just watched him sat on the sofa across from her.

Kahit sa simpleng damit ay litaw parin ang hindi maipagkakailang kagwapuhan ng lalaki.  Bumagsak ang tingin niya sa kamay nito. Nakadextrose pa kasi ito kanina. Okay na kaya ito?

"Thank you," he sounded sincere this time. 

Tumango si Fej kahit na hindi nito nakikita ang pagtango niya. 

"Welcome," tipid na sagot niya. 

"May I now your name?" He leaned at the back of the sofa and crossed his arms. 

His perfect biceps flexed and he looked so hot on that position. His lips were on a thin line as he waited for her response. 

"Call me Fej," she answered. 

"Fej? What a unique nickname but I want to know your real name," he insisted. 

What the heck?

"You don't have to know my real name Mister."

He pursed his lips and was trying to prevent his self from smiling. 

Gusto niyang mairita sa reaksiyon ng mukha nito. She stood up at mukhang napansin nito ang pagtayo niya dahil umayos ito ng umupo. 

"I'll go now. Matulog ka na dahil malalim na ang gabi," malumanay niyang sambit sabay tayo. 

He made a heavy sigh and nodded. She was almost at the door when he said something. 

"C-an you stay for a few more minutes?" His voice was so low she didn't know if she heard him right. 

Napalingon siya rito. 

"You want me to stay... for a few minutes?" Fej wanted to confirm what she just heard. 

"Yes. If you don't mind." 

She found herself going back to the sofa she was sitting earlier. Her eyes focused on him. She was trying to figure him out but he was so difficult to read. His face showed nothing. She couldn't help but sighed. She thought she was good at reading people's mind and actions due to the nature of her job but this one's quite a difficult task. 

The silence between them was killing her. She didn't know what to say. Literally, they were both strangers doing strange things. 

Fej closed her eyes and listened to the rhythm of his breathing. When she couldn't use her eyes to know something, she then use another sense of her to figure out. 

They said people's emotions are directly related to the way our breathing changes. Breathing is most neglected aspect of life yet once its stop, it's forever gone. Being able to control your breathing, allows you to take another level of control in your life. 

The way the man breathe, it was long, deep and slow. He was most likely stress or something. 

Fej opened her eyes and stared at him. 

"I love going to art exhibits or museums. It's my happy place," she blurted out. "What makes you happy?" She asked without thinking. 

She caught his attention. He straightened his back. 

"Colors..." he spoke in a deep hoarse voice. 

That was unexpected but Fej understood somehow. Something twitched in her heart of the thought. It must be really tough for him, being surrounded by darkness. 

"I think you need to rest now. It was nice talking to you," she whispered. 

She silently went outside and before closing the door, she made a one last glance. Another part of her didn't want to go but she has to. She had overstayed. It was time to go. 

He was blankly facing the glass window. Parang may humaplos sa puso niya. He was alone in his dark and lonely world. She bet it wasn't easy for him to live a life filled with darkness. 

As Fej closed the door, she knew this part would be a closed chapter.