Kabanata 46

Kabanata 46

Deal

Fej could't believe it. How's that possible? 

Mabilis nilang tinapos ang dinner. Tinungo nila ang baybayin. They're walking side by side. She could feel the wet sands on her feet. Tinanggal kasi niya ang tsinelas at naglakad na nakapaa. 

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?" pabulong na tanong niya at huminto sa paglalakad. 

Tiningala niya ang bilugang buwan sa kalangitan. Medyo naibsan ang sakit na nararamdaman niya dahil sa malamig na hanging humahaplos sa kanyang katawan. 

"I don't want to it hide from you. I'm just waiting for the right time to tell you about it." 

She glanced at him and she could see his pained expression. Somehow, she didn't want to add to his agony. She wanted to understand him. 

"Let me understand," her voice was pleading. 

Lumingon si Tob sa kanya at kita niya ang lungkot sa mga mata nito. He deeply sighed and settled down on the sand. She didn't want to remain standing so she sat next to him. 

"Rowan looked a lot like you," dagdag niya. 

"Yes. He's not my son but he's my nephew. We still share the same blood," ani Tob habang nakatingin sa malumanay na paghampas ng alon sa baybayin. 

That explains why kung bakit magkamukha silang dalawa. She nodded in silence. 

"You had an accident 7 years ago right?" he asked as he glanced at her side. 

Why people keep on bringing about the past? First kay Shawn, ngayon si Tob naman. Where is this going? 

"Yes," she breathlessly whispered. 

Muling bumalik ang tingin ni Tob sa dagat. 

"The same time my sister had an accident," he said in gritted teeth. 

Napaawang ang bibig niya sa narinig. She couldn't find the right words to say. 

 "Nakaabot pa siya ng hospital. She couldn't deliver the baby because she was almost dying so the doctor did the cesarean just to save Rowan," may bahid na pait na sambit nito. 

She saw his fist clenched so she reached out and touched his hand. Recalling about the past was a pure agony for him. 

"W-hat it has to do with my accident then?" kinakabahang tanong niya.  

What if she did something unforgivable? Hindi niya kakayanin kung ganoon man ang katotohanan. She didn't know why her accident was kept as a secret. Ang sabi ng parents niya ay car accident lang ang nangyari. There was nothing beyond the accident. 

"Both of you were on the same car. You in the driver's seat and my sister in the passenger's side." 

Parang binagsakan siya ng langit sa narinig. Her heart felt heavy and there was a lump in her throat. Hot tears started to fall from her eyes. 

"I'm s-orry. I didn't know about that. I h-ad no i-dea-" natarantang sabi niya pero hindi na siya pinagpatuloy pa ni Tob dahil kinabig na siya nito payakap. 

Humagulhol siya sa dibdib nito. She didn't know that her past could be this dark. She thought she just have a normal life. 

"Sshhh... don't cry Baby," alo ni Tob habang hinahaplos nito ang buhok niya. "You didn't do something bad. That's what I want to believe." 

"W-hat do you m-ean by that?" she asked in between sobs, getting more confused. 

"Nobody knows what happened exactly. Your cousin also died on that day who happened to be my sister's boyfriend. Your cousin was one of my close friends."