What We're Owed

The last exam is about a week later, and as we walk out into the late afternoon sunshine, I wrap my arms around Scorpius and we half-run, half-stumble down the grounds, giggling madly. We get too many strange looks. And we laugh about it.

When we reach the lake, we collapse in a fit of laughter and chaos. I don't even know what we're laughing about, but I don't stop. We just lie on the ground, wrapped in each other's arms, smiling. Scorpius already looks less stressed, and I'm so incredibly grateful.

He's been putting himself under so much pressure. After the Owlery incident, he had been allowed to leave the Hospital Wing the next morning, and he'd asked me to bring revision to him in the meantime. I do understand why he did it, and I do understand that he needed a distraction. We both did.

Now, we can relax and enjoy ourselves, enjoy the world around us. I'm starting to feel more at home in school. It's only taken five years. But it's something. And I'm grateful. So incredibly grateful.

We talk for a long time, flipping between a hundred different topics. Scorpius is speaking impossibly quickly, and I watch him with a smile. I don't attempt to cut his ramble, because I can barely catch every word he's saying. And because he is incredibly adorable like this.

As he's about to launch into his hundred and seventeenth ramble, however, I stop him as I see an owl flying towards us.
"Do you think it's one for us?" Scorpius asks.
"Who'd be sending us a letter this late in the day?"

But the owl does keep flying towards us, and it drops a letter as it soars past. Scorpius picks it up, frowning as he reads the front of the envelope.
"It's addressed to both of us."
"Can I see?"

He passes it to me and my stomach drops as I read the front. 'Albus and Scorpius'. Written in sloping, shaky handwriting. As if it was a challenge. As if she wanted it, but the memories it dredged up were too painful to consider.
"It's – it's her – it's her handwriting," I mumble, biting my lip.
"Her?"
"It's Delphi's handwriting," I say, a little more firmly.
"Oh," Scorpius says. "Oh. Do you want me to open it?"
"Are you okay with that?"
"I'll be all right," Scorpius nods.

I pass the envelope to him, holding my breath as he slices through the seal and pulls out the letter. The handwriting I catch a glimpse of is a little more controlled, a little calmer. I bite my lip as Scorpius starts to read quietly.

Dear Albus and Scorpius.

I know that hearing from me is probably the last thing you want, after everything, and I understand that. However, these words have been stuck in my head for a long time and I wanted to get them out. I fully understand if you stop reading here. I fully understand if you never even opened this.

I can't ask for forgiveness. What I did and what I caused can never be forgiven. They say they're never going to let me go, and I'm glad. I don't want to let anyone get hurt again. And I'm happy now. I don't want to jeopardise that.

I don't know how much you know about Nina and what happened to me, but we see each other now, and we're happy, so thank you. Thank you for helping me find happiness after everything. I hope you can find your happiness and I hope you are healing.

I am sorry for the pain you have been caused, and I am sorry for my part in it. This letter is not a request for forgiveness, simply a request to wish you happiness, because you deserve to be happy.

I wish you well.

Delphi.

Scorpius finishes reading and places the letter on the ground between us. We stay silent for a moment, and I take a deep breath.
"She's – she's happy," Scorpius says.
"Nina was obliviated," I frown. "And even if that charm broke, how..."
"Dad takes her," Scorpius explains. "She sees Delphi once a week and Hermione turns a blind eye."
"Did your dad say?"
"I met Nina over the holidays," Scorpius says quietly. "She came to our house before dad dropped her off."
"Was she nice?"
"She was okay," Scorpius nods. "She knows pretty much everything that happened."
"Yeah."
"You okay?"
"Yeah," I nod again. "Just – I'm tired and stuff."
"You can sleep now. Don't need to revise."
"Right now?"

Scorpius nods and I curl up, resting my head on his shoulder. He wraps his arms around me as I close my eyes, allowing myself to doze off.