32.

c h r i s t i a n

Nadia was getting closer and closer to her due date and my nerves were starting to kick in. I was ready to welcome Wyatt into our lives, his room was ready, Nadia and I were prepared, family was excited to meet him, but there was just underlying feeling in me that just made me feel like I might be a fuck up dad.

I don't want to think like that, but even getting to call Nadia mine, let alone her staying with me after I got a little mad/upset with her getting pregnant. The timing was just so unusual; I'm in the baseball grind, I'm working hard, she was doing great things with modeling, and me, being the dumbass I am, I don't like taking time to reach in a drawer and grab protection. Sometimes that shit is just too much of a hassle to grab, plus, Nadia's the only girl I'm going to ever have sex with/make love to, sometimes an oopsie pops up. Wyatt just happened to be the oopsie.

***

I arrived at the ballpark a couple hours before the game for some batting and field practice. I let Nadia sleep in as I knew this pregnancy was exhausting on her body, she deserved the rest. I set my stuff in my cubbie, changing into pants and cleats before grabbing my hat and walked out on the field.

I went by Lo and Ryan who were talking in the outfield. "Well, look who showed up! Decided to sleep in this morning through workout?" Ryan asked, patting my shoulder.

I just shrugged and shook my head, "I was up late for no reason last night. Nadia just stayed up talking and then I let her sleep in this morning and I had shit to do around my place." I took a deep breath, "I don't know if she's going to come today, she was super tired and her feet were in a lot of pain.."

"You getting excited?" Lo asked me and I just nodded, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Of course! We decided on a name last night, but I'm also really fucking nervous." I laugh, putting my hand on the back of my head, "I just don't want to be a let down. I want him to look up to me and be proud of his dad, y'know? And I want Nadia to be stress-free." I explained.

Ryan nodded, crossing his arms, "That's how I felt with both of my kids, honestly. First round it was more the anxiety and trying not to over stress, but then by my second, I had to learn to schedule and plan accordingly, work out differences, juggle my job, juggle having a baby already in the house, I get what you mean." I nodded, listening to what he had to say, "My best advice? Deep breaths. You might want to blow up sometimes with the stress, but seriously, remaining calm will save your ass later."

"Yeah," I sighed, "Just want things perfect. I am a perfectionist, you guys know that."

"Everyone has that in time when they're first time parents. We both did it. Trust me, he isn't going to care if you give him the wrong onesie or wrong food one day, as long as he's got his mom and dad? That's all he cares about." Lo said, "But you got a good support team behind you. Most of us are dads, so we know what to do, we got you."

"Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm just ready for him to finally be here. Nine months is way too long," I chuckled, "And I'm sure Nadia's had enough."

"I bet, her stomach is bigger than her!" Ryan said, laughing. "We're all excited too. You gonna share the name?"

I shook my head, "No can do." I caught a ball from Lorenzo as we just started a circle of catch. "That's a secret, you'll have to wait until we make the official announcement." I threw the ball to Ryan. "You might be my best friends, but, we haven't even told any of our family. Nadia and I are the only ones that know the name.."

"Any hints?" Ryan asked.

I shook my head again, tossing the ball back, "It's a name you probably wouldn't be able to guess. But you'll find it out and be like oh yeah that's a good name." I said before fixing my sunglasses. "You two can continue, I gotta go check with the trainers for my back."