7.

"Pick up the pieces that make me whole again."
——————-
n a d i a .

It was an off day for the Brewers today, which meant me and my siblings were able to take a day and chill at home. I still was trying to process everything that happened last night. My best friend kissed me. Something I never thought would happen, but, at the same time, I've been wanting it to happen for a while.

Christian and I grew up down the street from one another. I think the day we met, we knew we were going to be best friends. We were young, naive, causing trouble, and always having a good time. I considered him an older brother for a while, always someone I would run to for safety. Christian helped me through some of my toughest points in my life; Helped me with adjusting to a new high school, boy troubles, mental health, you name it, he's probably helped me with. The hardest thing for me was when he left for Miami after being drafted into the Major League.
————

"I can't believe it's finally here..." I said as I helped Christian carry his bags through the airport. "Like, you're going to play for the Marlins! That's crazy." I was so proud of Christian for fulfilling his dream; This is something he has dreamed of since we were little kids playing Tee ball in the backyard or at the park. He was the star baseball player through middle and high school. Girls adored him, guys wanted to be him, and I was there for him as an amazing best friend.

"I know, I can't believe I'm already leaving.." Christian sighed, sitting down on a bench for a moment. "I'm excited to go play, but I'm really gonna miss you. Who am I gonna call to talk about dumb shit with?" He laughed.

"You're gonna do amazing. You're gonna be the star there, you were the star here." I stood in front of him. "I don't want my best friend to go..." I said, voice cracking as I felt tears well up in my eyes. "You're gonna be too far away.." I looked at Christian, instantly wrapping my arms around him in a tight embrace.

"I promise we'll see each other soon." He said as he wrapped his arms around me. "I know you're gonna be cheering me on from home. I'll make sure I get you a jersey as soon as possible. My best friend deserves the best." He wiped the tears from under my eyes as I could see his eyes were filling up with tears. "I gotta go. Thank you for coming with me and helping me get my bags here." He stood up, still hugging me.

I sniffled, laying my head against his chest. "Don't you dare forget about me.." I said as I wiped under my eyes and pulled back from the hug. "Have a safe flight, be careful, have so much fun." Looking up at him, I was aching, I couldn't leave him. "Love you, doofus." I said, smiling slightly.

"Love you, dummy." Christian replied as he grabbed his backpack and walked toward the terminal and just like that, my best friend was off starting a whole new adventure.
———
As I sat on the couch wrapped in a blanket, my phone pinged. I reached over to the table and grabbed my phone, seeing that Christian had texted me.
Christian: it would be pretty cool to hang out with my best friend today on my off day
Christian: maybe talk about what happened last night, aha...
I was confused as to what he meant about talking. Talking about our feelings? Talking about that best friends don't kiss? How I'm falling for my best friend? My head was spinning.
Nadia: hmmm ... i mean, if he's chill with just laying on the couch all day. my ass is planted.
Nadia: And sure! I kind of wanted to talk about it too...
I felt myself getting anxious after sending that message; I didn't want him to take anything the wrong way.

Christian didn't arrive too long after. I walked to the door after I heard a couple of knocks and opened it to see Christian smiling there at me. "Hey, doofus." I said with a laugh.

Christian walked inside and ruffled up my hair. "Hey, dummy." He laughed. "How are you?" He asked as we walked over by the couch and sat down. I grabbed the blanket and wrapped myself in it.