Chapter 13

(A/N- Hey! Guess who's back! Okay, I just got this random inspiration to write the next chapter, so here I am. My exams are going on and I actually need to be studying. But I've put that off for the next 3 hours. Sorry for taking such a long leave. Okay, I noticed that I created a paradox in my story. 10 points if you spotted it. Anyway, I'm going to fix that right now by editing a few of my previous chapters. This chapter is dedicated to @MaiandtheDoctor because 1. she is very much like me and 2. she is really helpful. So this is for you! Okay, enough of this Author's Note and now....the next chapter!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, John joined the two brunettes in the lab, and was wandering up and down opposite the bench Sherlock was working. Jane had gone to get some coffee which left only Sherlock and John in the room. Sherlock was looking into a microscope and a computer screen next to him was showing a scan of some test running. "So who d'you suppose it was?" asked John, as a phone buzzed with a text alert. 

"Hmm?" asked Sherlock, not paying attention to the phone. 

"The woman on the phone- the crying woman."

"Oh, she doesn’t matter. She’s just a hostage. No lead there."

John said exasperatedly," For God's sake, I wasn't thinking about leads."

"You’re not going to be much use to her," Sherlock said as he glanced at the screen which said 'NO MATCH' and went back to looking into the microscope.

Just then, Jane came into the room with a cup of coffee. She took a place on a chair which was near the bench and held her coffee in her hands for warmth. "Are you trying to trace the call?" she asked Sherlock. 

"The bomber's too smart for that," he said, raising his head a little to acknowledge her presence before going back to his beloved microscope. The same phone as before buzzed again, making Jane look at Sherlock's pocket. "Pass me my phone," he said.

"Where is it?" asked John. "Pocket," replied Jane, before sighing and standing up. She walked to him stiffly and held his shoulder as she rummaged his pocket for the phone. "Careful," said Sherlock angrily, still looking into the microscope. Jane shot him a dark glare as she pulled out the phone and looked at it. She handed it over to John before leaving. 

It read,

RE: BRUCE-PARRINGTON PLANS

Any progress on Andrew West's death?

Mycroft

"Text," he said. "From your brother." 

"Delete it," Sherlock said.

"Delete it?" John asked.

"Missile plans are out of the country now. Nothing we can do about it."  "Well," he said, "Mycroft thinks there is. He's texted you eight times. Must be important." 

As Sherlock and John were talking, Jane slipped out and entered another room across the hallway where she found a man with his back turned to the door carving into an apple with a penknife. As she entered the room, he turned his head sidewards and saw Jane from he corner of his eye. 

"Hello sweetie," she greeted, imitating River Song. Jim smiled as he threw the apple to Jane who caught it with ease. She turned the apple in her hand, reading the three letters which were carved on it. "IOU," she read out. "Yes," said Jim, walking towards Jane. "I owe you one for playing such a good game. Fooling the great detective, Sherlock Holmes is no easy task," he said, emphasising on Sherlock's greatness. 

Jane shrugged and said," I try." "But are you trying enough?" Jim asked, cocking his head to a side as if assessing her. Jane smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. "As much as I enjoy this game, James," she said, covering the distance between them. "I'm getting bored of it. It's always the same isn't it? You making Sherlock dance with your little puzzles, it's getting boring. I just add a little spice to it." Jim noticed how her entire demeanour had changed from that of Jane Marcus to Jim Moriarty. 

"Are you calling me boring?" Jim asked darkly. "Oh no, darling. Only the game. Now if you will allow me, I'm going to play some more," she cooed in his ear, making him hum with satisfaction and hold her waist. "Jim?" called a voice from outside. 

Jim immediately let Jane go and she moved aside. The door opened to reveal Molly. "Hi," said Jim, a bit hesitant. Jane was always surprised of how he changed characters so quickly.

"Hey, where were you? You went to get something to eat. Hello Jane," she said, smiling at Jane. 

"Hello Molly," said Jane. "I was just passing when I saw James. He's a friend from high-school. Anyway, I'll leave the two of you alone," she said, as she briefly hugged Molly and left. Jim smiled at Molly and followed her as she left the room. 

Jane went back into the room where Sherlock and John were, only to catch a "This hostipal's full of dying people, doctor. Why don't you go and cry by their bedside and see what good it does to them?" Jane opened the door dramatically and slapped Sherlock across the face for his comment. "Don't you ever say that again," she hissed before taking her place on the chair.

Sherlock looked at her in shock as John shifted uncomfortably. Suddenly, the scanner next to Sherlock went 'ding'.