Chapter Twenty-Eight|| The Ball

{Alara's POV}

"I can't believe we're doing this after all that has happened," Evan grumbled, fixing the tie to his suit.

"Evan, sweetheart, it was your idea to begin with." I pointed out.

"One that I'm regretting. Why do you want to go so bad all of a sudden? I mean, with everything that has happened recently, I would think you'd want to stay here safe in the pack."

"We're going to Ryker's Christmas ball, I think we'll be very safe surrounded by all the lunas and alphas." I mused and turned my back to him. "Zip me up?"

"Of course." I felt his hands on my back as he zipped it up, causing goosebumps to line my arms.

"You look beautiful." he placed a small kiss on the base of my neck and I smiled, turning to face him.

"You look handsome as well." I leaned up, placing a kiss on his lips and pulled back grinning up at him.

"Now, let's go get this night over with."

I really didn't want to go to this. Evan was right, I was scared for our safety and I didn't know what the walker's plan was next. Though it was crucial I went so I could speak to someone in particular.

The red dress I wore clung to me like a second skin and I hated it. I hated dresses in general. It wasn't my typical style.

"Now, I have selected a number of people to take with us from the pack that will follow us there. On the invite, it said to invite those of my pack who were higher up in ranking, so I did my best." Evan chuckled.

"Well, some people are gonna get butt hurt." I joked.

"Oh, I'm sure. I don't think Ryker realizes our pack isn't like the others. All my member are warriors, 'Gammas' as he calls his own."

"Well, they'll have to get used to it. We aren't exactly a cliche pack as the others."

"How true that is. Come on, the driver is waiting." He spoke, walking over and opening our bedroom door.

I followed him out, trying not to face plant in the heels I was wearing.

As we descended the stairs, I wondered what people would think when they saw us at the ball. I couldn't help it. People never see us out and about. We don't usually do things like this and in the past, we never even put it up for consideration. If we got an invite somewhere, it was an immediate no.

Evan opened the car door for me before our driver could and I couldn't help but let out a small laugh at Evan's grin as he did so.

Once we were settled in the car and the driver took off, Evan placed his hand on my thigh.

"You nervous?"

"No, I think I'm more curious than nervous. How do you think people will react once they see us?"

"I don't really care. I hope they shake in their boots." he mocked and I gave him a playful smack.

"The point of us going is to show people we're trying to change or that we have changed."

"I'm kidding...kinda. I will always envoke fear, but that is only because I have a reputation to uphold. If people think I've gone soft, that is when they think they can step all over you and I'll be damned if I let that happen."

"But you'll try to be on your best behavior, correct?"

"Yes, I suppose so."

"Good."

"You know, people don't only fear me you know." He raised a brow at me.

"What?"

"Alara you literally scare people just by looking at them."