Chapter Four|| New Era

{Alara's POV} Young alpha Evan above :)

It was finally happening: Evan was addressing the pack.

"As many of you know...I have been gone for quite a while," Evan announced to the pack that was gathered in our courtyard. "I haven't been myself and for that, I cannot explain, but today I promise to be your alpha once again. I pledge my loyalty to you like I once had. We're not a pack that will go back to its old ways either. The darkness that once surrounded this pack is gone and it will stay gone. We do not harm anyone that means us no harm, our original motto. Does anyone disagree?" he asked looking around and everyone remained silent.

"Good. Training tomorrow bright and early at six AM sharp. Don't be a second late. You're dismissed." he called out and everyone raised their hand in the familiar salute, like one an army member would give, and saluted him before walking off.

I saw Evan clench his jaw. That salute was something the pack used to give us when the dark magic was involved. We were the leaders they praised, yet they praised us for all the wrong reasons and we let them.

"You did well." I stated as Evan brushed past me.

He didn't bother to reply to me as he made his way back to our house and I sighed. It was one step forward and two steps back with him.

"Evan, please, not this again." I called out hurrying after him.

I felt like last night we had a breakthrough of some sort, but I guess I was wrong. I usually am now a'days when it comes to Evan McConnell.

"Evan!" I snapped finally falling into step beside his powerful, quick stride.

"What, Alara? What do you want?"

Asshole.

"What is with you?! One moment you're back to your old self and the next you're shutting me out again. What happened? Was it the salute?" when I mentioned it, he halted to a stop.

"Why did they do it?" he asked in thought.

It was the salute.

"Because that's what they know. Besides yesterday at the training room, that was the first time they've seen you since the day you arrived. They don't know how to act around you because you haven't told them how. If you don't want them to salute, they won't. Simple as that." I tried to explain.

Evan shook his head. "Everything just seems so...out of place."

"Because it is, Evan. I know nothing about running a pack like you used to. I've done my best and it's your turn to change that around. I have other things I have to start taking care out, like my coven." he sighed, nodding.

"Let's just go home." he offered.

"Yeah, I can make us some lunch." I replied to which he just nodded.

As we walked home I couldn't help but glance around. When I first stepped back into this pack it looked horrible. It had been blocked off to rogues and other humans or werewolves, but never demolished. The trees looked dead, the houses were rotting, old cars were left to rust, and everything just looked rough. I spent weeks trying to give more life back to this place.

I had men repair homes, take down the ones that couldn't be salvaged, and build others. I did countless spells to revamp trees and the outside life around it. I wanted our old home back, but Goddess knows that'll never happen.

Something caught my eye from the near woods and my head quickly turned, my heart stopping. I did a double take to make sure I saw correctly, but the face I had first seen was gone. Anger bubbled within me.