Chapter Eight - Just Like That

Chapter Eight – Just Like That

I felt a sense of security with Ren being by my side every night he would wait for me to close up shop, grab my bags and walk me home without a word. He's not the type to talk very much he keeps his thoughts and feeling hidden deep within himself just like me. These blissful nights of him with me I did not want it to end i feel so free, "Here this should keep you warm next time you should check the weather." he said while taking of his my North Face olive hooded soft-shell jacket

I could no longer move no one has been this caring of my well being before. I could still feel the warmth from his body embedded in his jacket now that lays on my body. "Did I say something wrong Athena? Did I hurt your feelings? If I did I am truly sorry I won't say stuff like that again." silly boy always saying sorry his kind words could never hurt me. "Come on let's go home." I walk closer to him and we vanish into the night.

"Thank you again for tonight. You really didn't have to come to my work and take me home I'm a big girl you know." No I'm not I'm scared so scared. " I don't mind work isn't so busy right now. Plus I would like to get to know my neighbors' " he said with warm smile such a smile it put me at ease for a little. I unlocked my door and Ren went away like every night I know that every night he walks me home and at my doorstep he leaves. So why am I feeling like this why can I feel tears building up inside of me leaving my cheeks wet?

I get inside and my place drop work files on the front table by my door and take a good look at myself in the wall-to-wall mirror. Oh man I look like a complete mess. How could I let something so small dig deep inside my skin? I felt a crisp dusk of wind brush threw my back I turn around my condo window was wide open curtains flowing up and down as the wind found its way in. Glass shattered all over my dark bamboo hardwood floors, my living room and dining room chairs flipped over, papers scattered everywhere. I could feel the air leaving my lungs I grab my chest trying to gasp for air "No No No! This can't be I'm suppose to be safe." The feeling of loneliness left to make room for fear.

I take my other hand a grab the wall making my way to my master bedroom and just like the others it is all in chaos. I rush over to my closet, push my shoes out of the way and lift of some piece of wood I reach deep inside of the floorboards and grab an envelope. "Good its still safe." a small part of me felt like everything would be okay but I quickly realized nothing will ever be okay.

I was so scared I could feel my whole body shaking I cant stay here this is no longer my home. Before I even could think I was in front of Ren's door with my head down trying to let all the tears out that filled my heart. I could hear him unlock his door and slide the chain off I wanted to run yet my feet wouldn't move there is no going back now. "Athena?"  He said my name it made my body snap out of it yet I couldn't form a proper sentence all I could udder out was "I'm scared could I stay with you tonight?" He put his arms around me and I couldn't hold the pain in anymore. Ren rushed me over to his long back suede couch his house felt so warm it smelt like home.

"Here Athena, Drink this nice and slow okay?" He made me tea it was so hot the scent alone made want to sleep forever. I placed my lips on this old fashion teacup I let it consume my body. His words buzzed in and out of my ears "Here take these you can sleep in my bed I'll sleep out here." "I couldn't do that I don't mind sleeping out here Ren you did enough for me really it is okay." The look on his face seemed worried some he got up "If you need anything just let me know." That was the last thing I heard before I fell fast asleep.

I abruptly woke up at dusk Ren was fast asleep on his living room floor. I got up and folded the sheets he gave me and left without a sound. I head back to my condo even in the day light the scene was worse than I thought. I could barley walk all way in sent Hana a text to come over not even seconds later she called "I will be there in five just meet me downstairs hun." I get my self-ready walking over the rubble on my floor, grab my purse and headed out.