Chapter Twenty-Six - Old Friend?

I could tell I caught Mary-Ann off guard. As much as she tried to hold back the surprised look placed on her face it said it all. She pulls her red silk robe in tighter to protect her body of the night chills and leans against the door trim.

I cleared my throat and moved up the damped cement steps. "So do you have space for an old friend to spend the night?" I'm not sure why I really picked Mary-Ann out of all people I could have turned too. I show up at her door step I felt so out of place after everything she did and the hurtful words I said. She turn inside and walked away with the door still open. I took is as her way of saying come in.

Everything looked the same like the last time I was here. Not a thing out of place. Her home was all white with bright accent pieces. I walked towards the fireplace where she had this large piece of art work hanging. A geisha with her back bare, pale skin shown and her large prints of vibrant tattoos. "Its beautiful isn't it?" Mary-Ann lightly spoke in my left ear. "Very much so. I can't believe you still have it let alone hanging in your home. I am truly honoured." I took a seat closest to the lit fire.

Mary-Ann leaned in closer towards me and placed a black cup of steaming hot green tea on the coffee table In front of me. "Be careful its quite hot Mr.Hiroshi." She gave me a smirk and took a seat across from where I was sitting. "Why wouldn't I keep it you painted it for me. I was just glad I could be the model for such work." She leaned in towards her cup and blew on it lightly. Her scent mixed with the light earthy smell of our tea it wasn't strong enough to over power it more complemented the scents.

"So Mr.Hiroshi I don't wish to be rude but why are you here?" She took her first sip while keeping her eyes locked on mine. Why was I here? I could have tried every hotel before coming here asking to spend the right with her. I smiled back at her " To be honest Athena and I had quite a large fight. I'm not use to things like that fighting with people I care about." Funny I did with her. " I needed help and the thought of you came across my mind." That's right whenever I needed help Mary-Ann was there for me. "Is that so?" she moved to the edge of her seat , placed her mug back down and had this almost alluring face expression. She folded her arms , laid back and her eyebrow was raised.

I got up from my seat and sat down next to her and unfolded her tightly crossed arms. "I owe you an apology. Really I do Mary-Ann I shouldn't gotten so angry with you. I can understand you were trying to protect me and I am truly grateful." She loosened her grip on her arms. We stare at one another close enough our bodies could mould as one. Athena's face flashed in my head and let go of Mary-Ann's arms. "Gominsi. I didn't mean to be so ruff ahh I mean so close. Yeah so close to you." I cleared my throat and changed the subject.

"Thanks again for having me here tonight. I won't be a bother to you and your guest upstairs. I plan to be out early in the morning." as I mumbled under my breath. With a displeasing look placed upon Mary-Ann's face she dismissed my comment and walked towards the stairs. "Goodnight Mr.Hiroshi."

Through out the night I kept tossing and turning , pulling on and off the thick fur throw blanket that was folded on the armchair across the room. Restless and worried about Athena I just couldn't sleep. Flashes from our argument kept playing back to back in my mind. I could have handled it so much better.

~

*BEEP BEEP .... BEEP BEEP* The heart skipping beat ringtone I set for my alarm woke me out of my deep slumber. The bitter earthy scent of green tea hit the tip of my nose. I raised up from the couch to only set my eyes on a hot cup of tea steaming from the coffee table in front of me with a hand written note at the side. "Ren, Once you wake up come to the kitchen. You remember where it is. - Mary-Ann". I folded the note in half and walked towards with my hot cup of tea steaming in my left hand.