Chapter Eighteen - The Queen Treatment

Two days and counting I've been laying by her bedside night after night of her waking up cold seat rolling of her brown skin.Once in a while she is able to stay awake long enough to move her bones around, but with all the medication they put her on each day feels like she is in a eternal slumber. " Ren?" the soft under tone of hearing my name made me jolt up out of my thoughts. " Yes Athena?" I see her side profile , hair out each curl sweeping her shoulders , the sun giving off this topical glow lingering on her face. " Can you tell me a childhood story you grew up with." she asked me never changing her view from the hospital window. What an odd request , but I will do it anyways.

I close my macbook and I move from the seat across the hospital room onto her bed "Sure thing this story is one my mother always told me I'm not sure if other kids from Japan heard the same story." I pause for her response , but no words were spoken I took that for me to continue. " Many years ago when there was only four lands : dragons , humans , demons and sprits they all lived in harmony with one another by simply keeping to themselves. One day a human girl ended up on the land of dragons lost and confused she began to cry her eyes out the sound of her cry was faint , yet one dragon heard it. " You are a human you should not be here go home!" the dragon rawed. " I don't know where home is I don't know who I am." the girl weeped the dragon could not leave her be "You will come with me and live with me until the end of your life." with his strong words she climbed his back and took off."

I look up Athena eyes were locked on to my lips watching every word off my lips flow off with the silence in the room I could heart my heart beat thumping from my chest. "Please Ren I want to hear more." she said I smiled at her " Of course" I replied." Many years later the girl has become a woman living co-sign the dragon that saved her life , but the feelings she had for him grew in ways she did not understand. She did know one thing she was human and he was a dragon they simply could not be. One day on her way home from the mill she came aross upon a witch. "Young lady I will trade you..." the witch spoke the girl didn't understand " I will give you one wish for something in return." without asking the return part the girl made a deal " I wish to fly along side him ... I want to be a dragon!" with the wave of her hand the girl became a dragon excitement grew within her belly and she flew off to see the dragon. On return of her coming to their home she seen him laying down holding onto his last breath confused and upset she went back to the witch. " What have you done? Bring him back." the girl shouted flapping her wings anger grew larger within her she could feel it burning up. " I simply made your wish come true my dear where else would I have gotten the breath of a dragon from?" I never really understood why my mother told me this story time after time ,but telling it to Athena I understand now.

This story brought back feelings I thought I have forgotten tear drop marks drip on my hands " I did not intend to cry like this." she moves in closer to my face and whips my tears. Her hands even when they are broken and bruised they are so warm her touch on my skin is so soft. " What a beautifully tragic story I loved it. In away wish I was as brave of as that girl letting love grow in her without fear so bold. I never grew up with stories like this things like the boogie man weren't stories for me it was reality." she lowered her head. I want to create new memories with her , see her smile because of me and never let her go. "Let's get out of her Athena. I know you are scared , but I want you home with me." I said I cannot believe how forward i'm being I must really be on edge. I quickly pull out the sweatpants and t-shirt I packed for her out. "Here this is for you." I handed her the clothing but she just stood there cheeks flushed red did I do something wrong? " What is wrong will the clothing not fit?" I asked her. " Turn around perv!" she said raising her eyebrow.

~ ——— ~

We stand starting down the hallway her body once laid. " Shall we?" I asked her I didn't want to push her more than she could handle with my right hand I grab my bag and began to walk. I felt a strong pull in my left arm it was Athena she grabbed on tight her head looking down. "Thank you." she mumbled " Do itashi mashite." I kindly gave a smile and we walked to my condo each step she held on tighter. I found is cute in a way holding of my hand , her head down with her curls bounding. I haven't been this close with her in a while her scent is different its mixed with fear and trust.