Chapter Six - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees

I woke up the next morning to the unpleasant sound of my phone going off 'hai hai you have a message, hai hai you have a message," I rub my eyes and grunt, "what time is it?" I pick up my phone to shut the annoying message sound from going off.

"Good morning Ren, the UI/UX presentation got moved up, you need to be down here in thirty minutes." Oh crap, this is the most important meeting of my career.

I jump out of the bed I made on my living room floor and headed to my room to get ready.

In the midst of getting ready I have seen a note with my name 'REN' in big bold letters, placed on my computer desk. I suddenly stopped everything and picked it up, inside the note enclosed, 'Thank you for being my soil - Athena'.

I looked everywhere in my house she was gone just like that without a word, she left. I tried to convince myself and I wasn't made, but the crushed paper in my fist tells another story. I didn't give it a second thought, I had somewhere else to be, and I headed out.

"As you can see on page twenty-seven the program development has reached a big and better level with the current UI work client base with becomes a greater gap." I let out a small sigh.

"Thank you, Mr. Hiroshi, we are happy you came such a long way, we hope you all look through the book Mr. Hiroshi has created a step-by-step for the development." Everyone including myself got up, shook each others hands and just like that, the two-hour meeting was dismissed.

I walked back over to my office room, and sat in my plush chair, "ahh" I pushed back more and turned on my radio. I can't help but wonder why she decided to leave like that, without even telling me. I couldn't help but keep thinking about Athena and that night, the face she made, and the sadness inside of her eyes.

My eyes glanced at my office phone, should I call her or let it be, I began to pace back and forth in my office.

*Knock knock* "hey buddy, you alright? I know the meeting was stressful, but I'm sure they'll love your idea."

"Ah man, thank you I was a little bit worried" Mark shuts my office door and I grab the phone on my desk.

You can do this man, it's just a phone call, "oww" alright, no going back, I dial her work phone number and it begins to ring.

"Hello, Rose-Bud Flower Shop, Kim speaking."

"Hi Kim, I'm Mr Hiroshi, I was wondering if Athena is there today."

"Uhm, hold on let me check."

"Alright," she puts me on hold, for what feels like hours, I wonder what is taking so long, its either she's there or isn't.

"Hello, Mr Hiroshi you said? Athena had a shift today, but she called in sick."

"Oh, okay, thank you, Kim."

She didn't even show up to work, this isn't like her. I head another knock on my office door, this time lighter. "Yes, yes come in," it was my secretary, Mary-Ann, she was dressed in all dark grey suit, her jacket button-up with bright red heels which makes her stand out. "Hello Mary-Ann, how can I help you?" Her glasses seem to never fit her face just right, "well come on speak up!"

"Yes. I am sorry, but you have a Miss Athena Bryan on the phone, I wasn't sure if I should tell her you aren't in, like the rest of the outbound calls you get." She called me at work.

"Put her through, Mary-Ann." I sit back in my seat, waiting for the red light to come on my office phone. "Is there anything else you need, Mary-Ann?" she was just standing there.

"Oh, no sorry sir," she shut the door behind her and I picked up on line five.

"Hiroshi speaking."

"Saru mo ki kara ochiru!"

"What are you trying to say?"

"Ren, I'm trying to say that, even monkeys fall from trees. I know you don't want to hear from me right now, and I get it, I left your house without even saying anything, and I know it was rude of me, I'm just trying to say I am sorry," I paused on the phone. "Ren are you there? ... Fine, could you look outside your window." I placed the phone down on my desk and walk over to my window.

I looked outside and saw Athena in a traditional Japanese red furisode kimono with cranes printed all over with a matching umbrella, her hair was done bit straight.

I picked up the phone, "you are beautiful." I could basically hear her smiling on the other side of my phone.

"So are you going to keep me waiting for you, or are you going to come down for your surprise."

"I'm on my way down now," I hung up the phone and headed downstairs. "Mary-Ann, send all my work to my hub email box and also set my calendar as out of the office."

I pushed the same office doors, the flush afternoon I knew I wanted her in my life. She was standing there once again, the world froze and my eyes locked onto hers. A grand smile she had on her face to match her beauty.

"I see you have been working on your Japanese, you still suck though," I smiled at her.

"Oh be quiet, I sound wonderful."

I pulled her closer to me and whispered in her ear, "don't ever scare me like that again Miss Bryan."

A black on black 2014 Audi A4 pulled up by the curb, I see a man dressed in a black Prada suit, of course I know because I have the same one with a driver hat on. I let her go a little.

"What is this?" I started to chuckle at her.

"It's our ride, Ren," she pulled open the door, "do you trust me?" I nodded my head yes and got inside of the car with her. She shouted to the driver, "to the Red Dragon Dance." she smiled at me and passed me a ying-yang pattern kimono, "this is for you Ren. you can change here, I'll close my eyes." She winked and covered her eyes.

**AN**

I think she might be playing games at time with Ren don't you think? , But I will say her surprise was really cute I'm also impressed with her little Japanese proverbs. Let me know what you think about this chapter with your comments and votes! I love reading them and replying until next time (^.^)/