28

↓↓

↓↓

"I'm handling it"

•••

Hayley let out a breath as she paced the room. She wished Jasper was with her so he could calme her down, but he was out following a scent. The scent of the unknown vampire that was in Bella's room.

"Who was it?" Carlisle asked. "Someone we know?"

"A stranger," Edward answered. "I didn't recognize his scent."

"A nomad passing though?" Esme questioned.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bella's father alive," Rosalie stated.

Jasper walked into the room with Emmett behind him. "The scent disappeared about five miles south of Bella's house," he informed the group.

Jasper sensed Hayley's nerves and walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her forehead. Hayley already felt better with the calming waves coming from him.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said.

"Victoria?" Bella wondered.

"I would have seen her decide," Alice said.

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward said.

"I don't think it's the Volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too," Alice said.

"So we keep looking," Emmett said.

"We'll also keep shifts guarding Bella at her house," Carlisle said.

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie asked, annoyed.

"Rosalie," Carlisle warned.

"No, she's right. You can't protect me, watch my dad, and search for the intruder."

"And Victoria," Rosalie added.

"And keep yourselves fed," Bella said.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward argued.

"Hello, dhampir in the room," Hayley said, waving her hand.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve," Bella argued. "And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have Hayley, and I... I have--"

"What?" Edward asked.

"The wolves," Hayley answered for Bella.

*

In the days that followed, Bella had managed to get the Cullens and wolves to work together. The wolves took over so the Cullens could hunt. It wasn't exactly an easy alliance, but they made sure Bella was protected.

Hayley was practically living at the Swan residence now. She stayed up every night to make sure Bella was safe, which Jasper didn't like. You could tell the exhaustion was getting to her just by looking at her.

Today it was Jake's day to stay with Bella. Edward had gone without food for too long, so he was left with no choice but to let her go. He did, however, insist Hayley go with them. So, for the entire day, the three hung out. Hayley nearly fell asleep a couple of times, but she was wide awake when Jake brought them to the bonfire.

"Are you sure this is okay?" Bella asked. "I really hate being a party crasher."

"Technically, you're a council meeting crasher," Jake told her. "See? The council leaders. Dad, Quil's grandpa, and Sue Clearwater. She took over for Harry when he died."

"Okay, we should not be here," Bella said.

"You're okay," Jake assured her. "I thought.. I mean, they thought it would be good for you to hear the histories."

Hayley yawned. "The histories?" She asked. "The tribe's histories? Aren't they secret?"

"We all got a role to play," Jake said. "You're part of this. It's the first time Seth, Leah, and Quill'll hear 'em, too. But you two are the first outsiders, ever."

"You're going to kill us after you've told us your secrets, aren't you?" Hayley asked.

A younger boy ran up to them. "Jake!" He called out.

"Hey," he said.

"It's about time you go here. Paul's been Hoovering the grub, but I saved you some burgers," the boy said.

"Good lookin' out, bro," Jake said. "This is Seth Clearwater, Leah's brother. Newest member of the pack."

"Hi," Bella said.

"Newest. Bestest. Brightest," Seth listed off.

"And slowest," Jake said before putting the boy into a headlock.

The two laughed and wrestled around for a little bit, before a loud whistle got their attention.

Seth got out of the headlock and panted with a smile. "Come on, you're dad's about to start," he said.

Everyone sat around the fire as Billy began to tell the histories of the Quileutes. Hayley sat in between John and Nicole, feeling slightly awkward since she hadn't spoken to them in so long.

"The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning," Billy began. "But we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shape shifters, that transformed to the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies. And protect our tribe."

Jake looked over at Bella and smiled at how invested she was in his history.

"One day, our warriors came across a creature," Billy continued. "It looked like a man. But it was hard like stone. And cold as ice. Our warriors' sharp teeth finally tore it apart.  But only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone... and they were right. She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed.

"Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being... no special powers, but one.. courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe," Billy said. "Over time, our enemies have disappeared. But one remains. The cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near. And we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming. And we must all be ready. All of us."

Bella and Hayley shared a look. They didn't know what threat the future held for them, all they knew was that they both had a part to play.

After the bonfire, Hayley stayed back and talked with John and Nicole. They both felt the same awkwardness that she did, knowing they didn't make a move to reach out either. So much had changed. John had imprinted on a girl, and Nicole was no longer the only female wolf in the pack. Hayley felt bad for not being there for either of them.

"Congrats on the wedding, by the way," Nicole said, hoping to break the ice.

Hayley smiled. "Thank you!" She said cheerfully. "We're planning for June, so I hope to see you both there."

"Of course, we wouldn't miss it," Nicole said.

"Great, I'll be sure to mail you the invitations when we make them," Hayley said.

"I can't imagine how hectic your life must me right now," John said, shaking his head.

"It is pretty crazy, but I'm handling it," she assured him.

John sighed as he engulfed in the girl in a hug. "I missed you, Hayley," he said.

"I missed you, too," she said.