29

↓↓

↓↓

"are you insane"

•••

Hayley sat on Jasper's lap as they watched the news report. People were dying and disappearing, drawing a large amount of attention to the situation.

"It's getting worse," Carlisle stated as he turned off the TV. "We're going to have to do something."

"It takes more than one of our kind to cause the damage they're reporting," Jasper said. "Quite a few more. And they're undisciplined, conspicuous."

"It's newborns," Edward said, reading Jasper's mind.

"What? Like new vampires?" Bella asked.

"The first few months after the change," Edward explained.

"That's when we're at out most uncontrollable. Vicious. Insane with thirst," Jasper said.

"Something to look forward to," Emmett said, causing Hayley to tense.

"No one's trained these newborns, but this isn't random," Jasper said.

"Someone's creating an army," Carlisle said.

"Now we're definitely going to Seattle," Emmett said as he stood up.

"An army of vampires," Bella said.

"And they've been created to fight someone," Jasper said.

"Us," Hayley whispered.

"We're the only clan even close to Seattle," Edward said.

"Regardless of whey they were made, if we don't put a stop to them, the Volturi will," Carlisle said, talking a breath. "I'm surprised they've let it go on this long."

"Maybe they're behind it," Edward said. "In Italy, I read Aro's mind. He wants me and Alice to join him. He knows we'll never choose him as long as our family's still alive."

"An army could solve that for him," Jasper said.

*

Hayley let out a sigh as she fell onto the bed that Jasper had put in his room.

"What's wrong?" he asked her as he laid down next to her.

"I just have a feeling that something really bad is about to happen," she said in a quiet voice.

"We've been able to overcome everything that's been thrown at us this far," Jasper said, stroking her hair.

"I know, but an army? What if someone gets hurt?" Hayley said, worried.

"No one will get hurt, I promise," Jasper assured her.

Hayley sighed as she placed her head on Jasper's chest. "You shouldn't make promises you can't keep," she told him.