19

↓↓

↓↓

"everything's about to change"

•••

"I didn't mean for this to happen," Paul said quietly. "I lost control of my temper and all I saw was red."

Hayley finished cleaning the last bit of blood off her face and turned towards the boy. "I get the same way," she stated. "I let my emotions cloud my mind, I can't control it and neither can you."

"You're not mad?" Paul asked.

"No," she said. "You didn't hurt Bella and that's all that matters."

"You died though! Doesn't that mean something?" Paul asked.

"I'm fine now," she said. "Part of being a dhampir is protecting Bella no matter what."

The wolf shook his head. "I'm still sorry," he said.

"And you're forgiven," the dhampir said.

Paul walked over and hugged the girl. He sighed as he rested his head on top of her head. "What're you going to tell your mom?" He asked.

"I don't know," she mumbled, "but I'm sure she'll understand."

After the two finished talking, Hayley left to find her protected. She found Bella talking with a few of the wolves and Emily while eating a muffin.

"So she lives," Nicole said. "You had me scared for a second."

"Me too," Bella said, rushing over to hug the girl.

"I'm okay," Hayley assured, pulling out of the embrace. "What are you guys talking about?"

"How wolves are better than bloodsuckers," Jared laughed, taking a bite of his muffin.

"Well dhampirs are better than both so," Hayley said, snatching his muffin and taking a bite of it.

"Says the girl that just got her ass kicked," John said, walking into the house with Jake behind him.

"Not my fault Paul goes for cheap shots," she retorted.

"Ouch," Paul said, placing a hand over his chest.

Jake smiled before turning to Bella. "Can we talk?" He asked.

The two left to go on a walk, leaving Hayley alone with the pack. They all talked and joked for a few hours before the two came back and Jake drove them home. He dropped Hayley off at his house so she could drive her motorcycle home.

"Text me me when you get home safe," Bella told her.

"I will, Bells," Hayley said, hugging the girl goodbye.

~~

When Hayley got home, all the lights in the house were still on. Sighing, the Kenner girl walked in and greeted her unhappy mother and brother.

"Hi, mom," she said.

"Do you know how worried I've been?" Ellen asked. "Where have you been and why haven't you answered any of your messages."

"Why're you freaking out?" Hayley asked.

"Just like with their protected, dhampirs can also feel when their children die," Jack said.

Hayley's face dropped. "Oh," she said.

"What the hell happened, Hayley?" Ellen asked, tears beginning to fill her eyes as she noticed the blood stain on her shirt.

"I got into a fight with a wolf," the youngest Kenner explained.

"And he killed you?" Jack asked, sitting up straighter.

"He didn't mean to," Hayley defended. "It was an accident and I'm okay now."

"Nothing is ever that simple, Hayley," Ellen said. "There's a price to coming back."

Hayley sat down across from her mother and brother, a confused look on her face. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"Everything's about to change again," Jack told her.

"What's going to happen this time?" Hayley sighed.

"Every dhampir is different, so I'm not sure," Ellen explained. "But whatever it is will make you stronger."

"Great," Hayley muttered.

Jack sighed. "Go get some rest, Hayley," he told her. "We can talk more tomorrow."

Hayley nodded her head and stood up. "Goodnight, then," she told them before leaving.

~~

This chapter was super short
but basically Hayley is going to be more powerful idk