Chapter One

~Chapter One

The sound of the audience grew louder as we walked backstage, closer to the entrance of it. I could feel my best friend Louis grip my hand as he looked past the curtain, revealing the four judges and screaming crowd.

I looked up at him and noticed he was breathing heavy. "Lou."

"What? Do I look okay?"he asked, eyes getting wide.

I pulled him into a hug and laughed. He was always a worrier, which no one seemed to notice because of his houmorous nature. But I noticed, I noticed everything about him.

His hot breath warmed the top of my head. The way he held me made me feel...safe. I couldn't explain it. I especially couldnt explain it to HIM, seeing as we were best friends..and nothing more.

I mean, it's not like I've ever asked him how he felt about me or anything..should I?

"Hey." his voice broke us apart, "Thanks for being here, you're such an amazing friend."

Nope. Wasn't going to be asking him anytime soon.

"No problem Lou."

I started to get lost in his eyes the way I always did when he looked at me. He cleared his throat and looked away, causing me to panic for a second...did he notice the way I looked at him??

"Louis Tomlinson?" a backstage worker said, interrupting my thoughts. She checked Louis out and blushed, all girls did that when they were near him. Well I for one wouldn't blame them. His deep blue eyes were hypnotizing under his soft chestnut brown hair. And his smile? Don't even get me started on that. It..took me to another world..one that made me feel safe, just like he did.

"Yes, I'm Louis." He said, gripping my hand.

She smiled, still dazed, "You're up! Good luck out there!" She turned to lead Louis to the stage.

Before stepping on, he looked back at me once more. I gave him a thumbs up and a wink, mouthing, 'you can do this!'

He took a deep breath and walked on stage. The crowd went crazy, especially the girls. He looked so natural, like this is where he was supposed to be. He began to sing and my heart fluttered at the sound of his beautiful voice.

He always sang to me. When I was sad he would cheer me up with a song, or when I couldn't sleep, he would sing to me until I was knocked out, or so he thought, then he would curl up next to me. Those nights..they were my favorite. I would pretend sometimes that I couldn't sleep just so I could wake up the next morning with his arms around me.

Louis song finished and he stood there silently awaiting the judges decision. One by one, a simple but sure yes came from each mouth. I could see Louis smile brighten up the room, "Thank you so much!"

My eyes shot open and I jumped up. Louis ran off of the stage into my arms. "You did it Louis!"

"I know! I can't believe it!" He pulled away to look into my eyes, "You know, I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you."

ONE YEAR LATER

"Demi?" Louis voice brought me back to reality. I was always daydreaming. It was almost a bad habit in a way, but Louis was used to it.

"Wha-What? Im sorry." I looked up at him waiting for his reply.

He smiled and laughed, "You're so adorable when you space out." there goes my heart again, fluttering like crazy. Why does he do this to me?

"I said, if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here." He repeated he words that brought me to a flashback of his audition.

Now here we were, one year later, backstage of his last concert for the 'Up All Night' tour. I looked down at my backstage pass that read 'One Direction' and back up at him again, "I'm so proud of you Louis." His arms wrap around me and I buried my face in his chest, hearing his heart beat. Being this close to him...

"That was great lads! Best show by far." I could hear Niall's voice in the distance. The rest of the boys came in, breaking us apart. Niall greeting me with a hug. His faded blonde hair was damp with a little sweat, causing it to look darker and his piercing blue eyes to stand out even more.

Liam sat down on the backstage couch, "I agree. That was brilliant!" Louis put his thumbs up and smiled, that adorable smile.

"So did you like the show Demi?" my eyes peeled away from Louis and found Harry who was shyly smiling, rubbing the back if his neck.

"Of course Harry, it was amazing! You were amazing." I winked and nudged him.

Harry blushed and looked up at me, "Oh good! I'm glad you enjoyed it!" His smile was big and cheeky. Something about Harry I found intriguing. He didn't make me feel the way I did when I was around Louis...no one could...but he did make me feel something. I wasn't exactly sure yet.

"So would you like to come with us to celebrate then?" he asked me, eyes gleaming.

For a second, I considered it. But then I remembered I had early work at the coffee shop in the morning. I hated that place. Rude people, horrible boss, underpaid, but, it was a job. "I would love to, I just have work tomorrow."

The boys all looked at me, "Com'on!"

"Just for a few hours!"

"We will kidnap you and force you to come"

"please!"

I sighed and looked over to Louis who grabbed my hands, "Please Demi? I couldn't celebrate tonight without my best friend!" My heart melted as he gave me puppy dog eyes.

"Alright fine. But if I fall asleep at work tomorrow, I'm blaming you Tomlinson."

He smiled big and hugged me, "Deal! This is so great, you can meet Eleanor!"

I pulled away slowly and looked at him. Thinking about it, Louis has never introduced me to his flings, because he didn't like flings. So I knew this was serious.

"Who is Eleanor?"

Harry chuckled behind me, "His girlfriend!" He sang the last word dragging it out, which made it even more agonizing to hear.

"Girlfriend?" I whispered to Louis, who was avoiding eye contact

I swallowed hard trying to cope with what I just heard. I mean..this couldn't be happening..could it?

Yes..it could. Because Louis had the right to be with someone he liked. Because I had never told him how I felt, which i wanted to more than anything now. Because I, I was officially friend zoned.