Chap. 78: Hospital Check Out

(Picture of Eaton Family Above)
*Katie's POV*
~Five weeks later~

        Finally. That was my first reaction when Dr. Brooks told Chris and I that my precious Chole and I could go home. Chris told me he had a surprise for me when we got home, which only made me wonder what I was going to come home to.
As time came closer for Chole and I to depart from our hospital room, I became more anxious. My nurse, Rosemary, helped me get dressed as Chris helped other nurses give our baby her last bath in the hospital. Chris begged me to take a shower and eat one last time but I strictly told him that I wanted a full plate of Chinese and a hot shower at my own house. Their shower here is tiny and cramped, unfamiliar. After we argued for half an hour, I won.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I got dressed in horrible clothes that made me look fat, thanks to either Chris, Andrew, or Lauren, Chris walked in with Chole in his arms. Ever since my baby girl has been born, Chris has barely left her side. She's already spoiled, she was the best dressed premature baby in all of the NICU. And I know half those clothes didn't come from the baby shower. My hunch is either Lauren or Tara...or Mama's mailed gift for her Grandbaby.
Chris beams down at Chole, his love shining down on her. Her birth wounds have healed, leaving permanent scars...I hope not. She's now the size of a normal, healthy baby. Chris puts Chole down on the hospital bed, unwrapping her from her blanket. Her little naked body is pink from being bathed. Chris carefully puts a top-big diaper on her, putting baby power on her little butt and talking softly to her as she cries from being bare and naked.
"I know, I know." Chris nods, baby talking to Chole, "Papa's going to get you some clothes."
My mother MUST have called because Chris has been referring us to Mama and Papa. It's cute but not what I expected. I unsteadily walk over to them, smiling down at my daughter. Her little face is scrunched up as well as her body. She's cold.
"Aww, my poor bebé!" I pout, holding onto her little feet. "Hurry up! She's cold."
Chris gets—WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?! I look to Chris confused. I'm starting to wonder if he isn't stealing these cute baby clothes from the high dollar stores.
"WHERE did this come from?" I say confused, "And WHY did you pack this for me?"
"Mom packed the suitcases." Chris rolls his eyes but smiles. "Your family sent their baby gifts in the mail yesterday and Mom has been doing laundry all day yesterday at the house. She helped me pick out what was comfy enough for our little Princess."
Chris kisses Chole's cheek before dressing her in a white jumpsuit with a matching bib and a soft pink—HEAD WRAP TO PROTECT HER HEAD?! Definitely my Mama, or Adora.
"There you go, all dressed to go home." Chris grins down at her, picking her up and putting her to his chest. "You can change when we get home, Baby."
"Oh I know I will." I say annoyed.
"Chole, you are going to love your new home." Chris lightly bounces Chole in his arms, listening to her coo and sigh up at him. "It has a big—well, not big, but a backyard! You will have a best friend named Copper, he's excited to see Mama again and he'll just love you!"
"Do you think the house is big enough for you, me, Chole, and Copper?Occasionally Andrew or your parents? Maybe we need to move." I wrap my arms around his torso, my face on his shoulder blades. "So Chole and Copper can have a place to play and it would be safe and we wouldn't have to worry."
Chris frowns. "I've had this house for most of my life. I bought it off when I first became financially successful."
I let him go and sit on the side of the bed. "It was just a suggestion."
Suddenly, Dr. Brooks walks in with Chole and my nurses. He grins at the beautiful sight in Chris's arms. Rosemary wheels a wheelchair over and helps me side down, pain from my c-section scar shooting through my lower body. I wince in pain.
"Well, I'm going to miss this little one." Dr. Brooks lets Chole take a hold of his finger, "Chole is definitely stronger than she was five weeks ago. I'm glad everything has turned out alright. I just need you to sign your wife out and our nurses will help you to your vehicle."
Chris carefully wraps Chole in a quilt I know came from my Mama. Chris hands Chole to me, who begins to softly cry. Everyone in the room awws at this. Chole is definitely a Papa's girl. I cradle Chole and hum to her, it barely helps. Chris grabs the duffle bags and baby bag, walking out. I tug the head towel over her head some more, cuddling her closer to me. She grabs a hold of my blouse and begins to lightly whine. She misses Chris.
As I am wheeled out of the hospital, people stop and look at us. Many people smile or grin at us, stepping out of our way as we pass them.
Chris waits for us at the front of the hospital, with—HOLY CRAPORITO! What happened to his beloved Mustang? And why is there a candy apple red SUV parked out front? I give Chris a confused look but he ignores me. He quickly opens the side car door and takes Chole from my arms, placing her in a car seat I know I didn't get from the gender reveal OR my Mama. She wouldn't have thought of that.
"Where did THIS come from?" I motion to the SUV, "What happened
to your—"
"I sold it." Chris says quickly, helping me in the vehicle. "And I thought this was better and safer for our baby."
I slowly nod. "Okay? But why red?"
Chris smirks, "Because I knew you would freak out and ask me a thousand questions."
I roll my eyes at him. "Just get in and get me food."