Chap. 11: Third Date Disaster

(Picture of Katie's dream cake Above)
*Katie's POV*

Have you ever walked into a room and everyone turned and looked at you? Yeah, well, it's not comforting at all. I wanted to hide my face and my bare shoulders. Halee made me wear a tight, strapless white dress for my date. It's not the fanciest thing I have in the back of my closet, but it's still too much. Halee did my makeup and I just combed my hair. My hair is naturally wavy.
Chris wore a snug suit—how typical—and his eyes got big when he saw me. Just as everyone else did in the room. I feel so uncomfortable. I am usually all covered up with a loose t-shirt and overalls. Or a button up blouse with tight jeans, for work. But this takes the cake. God I hope they do have some type of cake. I'm starving!
As I walk up to the table, I try my best to smile through my anxiety. And to not fall in these heels. Chris just gawks at me, a small smile on his face.
"Too fancy?" I say shyly.
"No-Not at all." Chris stutters, making me giggle.
We stare at each other for a minute or two. But Chris just stares at me with a small smirk. Okay, I'm not THAT good looking guys!
"Um, are we going to sit down?" I say in a small voice, hating the attention I'm getting.
Chris snaps out of his trance. "Yeah, yeah, here."
Chris pulls a chair out for me like a gentleman. Smiling, I sit—terror fills me as my body falls to the floor. My chin hits the table hard, throbbing painfully. My hand flies to my chin—oh God. I'm bleeding! Great way to start a third date. Even greater to be my last.
"Oh, shit!" Chris says quietly, but not quiet enough.
Chris helps me up and then notices how the blood from my chin drops down onto my white dress. If people weren't looking before, they are now. They whisper and murmur to each other as they stare at our catastrophe.
"I'm going to take you to the hospital, okay?" Chris grabs a cloth napkin and hands it to me.
My bloody hands presses the thick fabric to my wound. I begin to feel light headed. I usually faint at the sight of my own blood. Especially this much. Chris guides me out of the restaurant after he gets a refund for the champagne and God knows what else he had in store for tonight.
My chin throbs like a mother. My hands, slick with blood, tremble weakly at the sight of my own blood. I can barely withstand my period, much less this horror scene. Chris helps me into his car. I try to not get any blood on his nice leather seats.
Chris races to the hospital. And do you want to hear something oddly hilarious? I'm the one whose calm. Drowsy, but calm. Chris's hands visibly shake. With my left hand semi bloody, I take his hand and squeeze. He glances at me, those blue eyes soft. He squeezes back, looking back to the road. To my surprise, Chris puts my knuckles to his lips. He kisses them gently, rubbing his thumb over my dried, bloody skin that was smooth before. My knuckles rest on his cheek.
"This is starting to becoming a normal thing on our dates, huh?" Chris tries to be funny, but he lacks the enthusiasm. "I'm usually not like this."
I press the cloth tighter to my chin. "What arrree yooouu wike?"
"Smooth and flirty." Chris says dryly, "I can usually get to second base before we even make it to the car."
I frown, giving him a look. My brow arched. He sees my face and clears his throat, kissing my knuckles once more before letting my hand go.
"I'm not surprised." I mumble loud enough for him to hear, the pain in my chin becoming more tolerable now.
"I'm going to make it up to you. Katie. I promise." Chris says in an almost begging sort of way, "I've never been so embarrassed."
I scoff in a joking manner. "You were embarrassed? Please."
I am seriously taking this not as serious as I probably should. I'm bleeding badly from my chin, which will probably leave a scar. If I wasn't attractive before, and I'm certain that I'm not, I will become even more unattractive than I already was. And yet Chris is the embarrassed one. Not me. Life is funny sometimes. I still want that cake though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As if the third date wasn't bad enough, Chris left me alone in the emergency room. The doctor came in and told us that I needed three stitches and that I would probably heal quickly. But just as I was being checked out, Chris got 'the call' and 'had to leave because of an emergency'. Classic. I had to call a cab by myself while looking like a damn horror scene. I'll admit it. When I got home, I cried for half an hour before cleaning myself up and went to bed. I ignored the late night phone calls, too upset to care who was calling me at that time of night.