Chap. 19: Tara's Sweet Treats

(Picture of Katie's Rainy Day special at Tara's Sweet Treats! Above)
*Third Person POV*

Sunday was torture for Chris. He went to his family barbecue and watched football, as he does every Sunday. But he only had one thing on his mind: Katie. He thought about asking her over to the barbecue so he could be close to her and so she could meet his family. But the more he tried to focus on family day, the worst it got. Chris thought of Katie's innocent brown eyes and her giggle like laugh, the way her eyes slant when she's happy. The way she blushes as she shyly holds his hand, the way she wraps her skinny arms around his thick neck as he kisses the heck out of her. Chris couldn't wait for Saturday when he had Katie all to himself. He felt bad that Hannah treated her poorly just for being jealous of Katie's relationship with him. It was petty and childish, something Katie is not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a while now, Chris has seen Tara's Sweet Treats! bakery shop everyday as he drives to work but never took the time to go in and try it. But today, he had two hours for lunch. Tara's Sweet Treats! has a fifties mixed in with a modern twist to it. Chris thought it was cute but was also a hangout place for teens. The majority of people in the shop looked really young. He felt out of place and knew he was probably the oldest one in sight. A few girls make goo goo eyes at him, making him smirk. He wonders if Katie has been here before.
The girl at the registers name tag read Tara. Smirking at the coincidence, Chris decided to joke with her. It's a habit for him. Tara smiles at him happily, her blue eyes bright like a child's.
"Hi, welcome to Tara's!" Tara says cheerfully.
"Hello." Chris takes his sunglasses off "Did they name this place after you or are you just lucky?"
Tara blushes. "Actually, I'm the owner of this company. I just enjoy helping my workers out."
Chris smiles. "Well, that's good. I'm glad to hear some Bosses—"
"Whoa." Tara says in shock, her eyes going wide. "You're Chris Eaton, right?"
Chris freezes, smirking while trying to hide his confusion. "Yes?"
"I'm one of Katie's best friends." Tara grins big, "I actually live across the hall from her."
Chris smiles. "Wow, it's a small world. Actually, I came in here to get something for Katie. What does she usually get?"
So Katie has been there before! He wonders what all she likes from there. He grins to himself as he guesses double chocolate milkshake with mini chocolate chips and lots of whipped cream with two cherries. One on the top and one on the bottom for a surprise, just the way Chris likes it. But he doubts Katie would have the same preference as him.
"Well, it depends really." Tara laughs, "If it's a rainy day, Katie gets two white iced donuts with almond slivers and coconut shavings. If it's just a casual lunch break, it's a medium strawberry shake with extra whipped cream. But her ultimate favorite is, BY FAR, wedding cake flavored snow cones."
Chris laughs loudly, remembering their beach date. That's all Katie would get, the wedding cake flavored snow cones with the multi-color changing cups. He thinks for a few seconds on what to get Katie. The snow cone would melt, as would the milkshake. So the donut is the best possible case.
"I'll take a dozen of those donuts she likes." Chris smiles to himself, "Do you remember all your customers orders or is it just your close friends?"
Tara shakes her head. "Katie's one of my most loyal customers, that's all. Hey, Marvin! Make me a dozen of the white almond/coconut donuts. You know, KM's favorite!"
"Well, it sounds like you're pretty close." Chris nods.
"Yeah, I'm the best boyfriend she's ever had—no pressure." Tara says jokingly, grinning from ear o ear.
            "I can't wait to see her face when I surprise her at work with a dozen donuts." Chris takes out his wallet, "Katie told me she thinks roses are cliché and tulips are hard to find. So I gotta find something else to surprise her with."
              Tara, being her happy self, absentmindedly talks before thinking. "After what Hannah did to her yesterday, Katie's going to be VERY happy to see these donuts. I'll warn you, she may eat them all in one setting—"
            Chris's interest has been peaked. "What happened yesterday?"
              The sudden realization of what she had just done dawned on Tara. Her cheeks turned pink with embarrassment. Katie was NOT going
to be happy with her for telling it another person what happened between Katie and her former boss. ESPECIALLY CHRIS! Tara bites her lip, giving into the fact he already knows too much so tell him all.
         "Hannah—brutally fired Katie over petty stuff. Jealousy, mainly." Tara winces, Chris's mouth goes wide. "Don't tell Katie that I told you! I wasn't supposed to tell anyone and she'll kill me."
            "Shit." Chris says under his breath, making Tara squirms from his potty mouth. "Is she okay? Do you perhaps know where Katie's at today?"
              Tara sighs. "Probably still at home upset. Hannah really lowered her self-esteem."
               That tugs on Chris's heart strings. Hannah fired Katie over petty jealousy. Chris wants to go to Katie so he can comfort her. So he can pick her back up.
              Tara clears her throat, feeling guilty. She adds up the price of the donuts and adds the family discount. Chris stands there in utter shock. He's glad Katie is now free from Hannah, but Tara said his newest love interest had low self-esteem. His heart tears at the thought of Katie sitting at home crying or depressed because of something Hannah had said that was horrible. He can't help but feel helpless now, hoping Katie will now take his job offer.
              Tara's voice breaks Chris from his train of thought. "That'll be $ 10. 50."