Chap. 46: You Got That Right

(Picture of Chris Eaton Above)
*Katie's POV*

"I can't believe you let that witch win!" Halee screams at me from my mini kitchen, filled with leftover baked goods from Tara's Sweet Treats. "She had no right to say them terrible things about you!"
Tara's face is still scrunched up with disgust. "Breeding?"
Adora and Halee gives her an annoyed look. I lay with my head in Adora's lap. She smooths my hair down as I cry. Why is everybody against Chris and I being together? Is it our skin? Is it our wealth? Is it our age? I mean, why is everybody trying to bully me? God, I feel like I'm dealing with high school drama!
"Maybe it's for the best." Adora pats my back, "At least you had a memorable first time, right?"
I sniff. "I love him."
Tara begins to cry along with me, covering her face with a napkin. Adora pinches the bridge of her nose, shaking her head at us.
Halee rolls her eyes at us annoyed. "Unbelievable."
"Katie, it's okay. You'll find the right one eventually." Adora twist a lock of my hair, "Just give it time."
I quickly get up and run to my bed, throwing myself down dramatically like a Disney Princess. Tara wails louder in the broken recliner chair.
"I went 23 years without a guy even looking at me!" I cry, sounding like a child. "I'll already be past menopause when I find another!"
Halee growls. "I told you to leave that creep alone!"
"Let's not point fingers, Halee. Katie needs are support right now." Adora says, "Lets order a pizza."
Tara wails louder. "I HATE PIZZA!"
I cry, barely getting my words out. "A-All the grease hurts my stomach."
Suddenly, there's a hard knock at the door. God, can't people just go away? Can't the world just understand that I'm going through my first heartbreak and I feel like I'm suffocating? That I want to shrivel up and die in peace? I hope they brought me Chinese. I hear someone open the apartment door.
"What the hell are you doing here?" Halee growls angrily.
God can't whoever just wait until after my funeral to bother knocking. Suddenly, I hear heavy footsteps from a distance. Could it be thunder instead? Does Halee usually walk that hard? Only when she's ready to murder somebody. Tara and Adora practically walk on their tippy toes. I hear a distant voice from the hall, but I can barely make out who it is or what they're saying.
"No, you're an a**hole!" Halee could be talking to literally anybody, even me. "So go screw yoursel—"
"Halee, let him in!" Adora barks. Him?
"Where is she?" Chris?
Suddenly, I feel heavier weight on my bed. The delicious smell of Chris's cologne fills my nostrils. A strong pair of hands effortlessly scoop me up into even stronger arms. I wrap my arms around Chris's thick neck as I sniff. He wears jeans, his white t-shirt, and a leather jacket. His hat on backwards. So handsome.
          "Shh, Princess." Chris pats my back lightly, "I'm sorry for my mom. She—"
          I squeeze him harder, not wanting him to talk about his mother. I just want him to hold me and tell me how pretty or silly I am. Maybe cuddle me. Suddenly, I realize how the painful feeling in my chest has subsided and has slowly faded away. I don't feel so...hopeless. All because Chris is here. I'm a sucker for this man.
         "She's not a baby." Halee growls, "She was doing just fine before you came and messed everything—"
            "Sweetheart, I'm not going to let my family or my friends bully you." Chris says in my ear, his fingertips lightly touching my spine like he had before we were interrupted. "Please don't ever scare me like that again."
            I sniff, finding it hard to speak. "Ch-Chris I-I can't be apart of a-any conflict. Especially—" my voice breaks, I cover my mouth. "I-I can't get be-between you and your family. I wouldn't want you to do that to me."
           Chris gives me a that look again. You know about the parent and the kid who stole the car keys? Yeah me neither. Anyways, Chris gives me that look and he lightly brushes the hair out of my face. His fingertips just barely brush over my skin to trace my jawline. His blue eyes are so hypnotizing, making me feel small but safe. He kisses my temple.
               "I love you, Katie Isabelle Morgan." Chris skims his thumb over my bottom lip, "And I can't lose you."
             Halee groans in the other room annoyed. Tara squeaks for some reason. Chris pulls my head to his chest, my hand resting on the other muscular pec.
             "What about your other girlfriends?" I'm still curious to why Chris and this girl named Kelly broke up. Chris never let his mother finish. "Your mom said—"
           "Never mind what my mom says about my past ex-mistakes." Chris says in an authoritative yet gentle voice, "They all wanted different things than I did. They all wanted something from me and didn't want to give me anything in return. Mom enjoyed them more than I did."
           I shake my head at him. "But I don't want anything from you, only you're attention and affection."
           "Aww!" Tara squeals, making me rolls my eyes with a small smile. "This is better than television."
            Chris and I both chuckle at Tara, whose sweetness and enthusiasm is always priceless.
            Chris nods to me, still smiling. "I know you do, Honey. But my friends and family can't see that."
             "Then what are we going to do?" I say softly, my hand rubbing up his chest the way he likes it. "I don't feel comfortable being around your family or friends. They don't want me around."
            "But I do." Chris says seriously, "Katie, you can't live your life by letting people dictate over you. Always calling your own shots, never getting what you want because you don't want to cause conflict. Honey, it wouldn't matter what you looked like or how much money your parents made or why I even love you, my mom would treat you this way even if you had everything my other girls had."
         "And what's that?"  I say nervously.
         "Well, for starters, they were easy." Chris sighs, "Rich, spoiled, sensitive egos, drama craved, money hungry, little brats who wanted something from me but never wanted me."
           "And your mother likes them over me?" I say offended, a little dumbfounded. "Probably because they come from money and they're your age."
           "Hey!" Chris says with a tone, making me look at him. "Don't let that go to your head. I love you despite that."
            I sit up straighter in Chris's lap. "Really? You're not just saying that?"
            Chris softly chuckles, his arms cradling me in his big man arms. "I've never met a woman who I could satisfy without flashing my money or fancy things in their faces. Not until I met you."
                I crack a smile. "Because I'm not one of those girls."
                "You got that right, Princess."