Chapter Twelve

I'd never thought I'd say this, but for the first time in ever pep rally was depressing. Not the scenery that was channeling in front of me, but even the chants wouldn't let my mind take a second off of what Connor spoke last Saturday.

The way his gorgeous lips spoke swiftly the harshest of words. We need to take a break.

Why would he do such a thing? Especially when he knew prom was only a month away.

Either way, whether I had liked it or not, I would have to pretend that Connor and I were perfectly fine and go on with my cheer team with no hesitation. If people knew something had been going on, and Connor and I were having some tension in our relationship it would come out replacing yesterday's old news. But I knew better, the more people know the worse, stay quiet and stay put.

I breathed in heavily and tightened my pony tail taking a look at Mel and Taylor beside me as we walked stood by the gates to the stadium. Pep rally this year had been different, particularly because Jaxon would be in the team this time. Seeing him steal the spot light right off my palms wasn't a pretty picture, but I knew how to steal it right back. I just needed to spread a little attention.

I cheered, looking over at my fellow teammates, all dressed in their short blue skirts, and our yellow tops that screamed Clarison High spirit. The pony tails waved from side to side as they giggled over how their appearance shone over regular average non-cheerleaders seemed. Of course they liked that, the term cheerleader. Being able to sit on that table with attention written all over their foreheads. Laughing to nothing in particular, but somehow making every other person to be with them or be like them. Moving their bodies in gym class to get a boy off the varsity football team to court them. It was all booked in the story of high school. As if things like these were meant to happen, written and tarnished on the stone of ages. It was the circle of life. Who wouldn't want it?

Oh wait, Jaxon. Jaxon Mills never wanted any of it. He was given the silver spoon, yet chose to use the one made of ordinary steel instead. He was ungrateful, nothing he did was for the greater good, but because he thought the best version of himself involved being careless and a rebel. He criticized us for not being real, when I always knew Jaxon wasn't Jaxon.

It would make no sense to explain, but he wasn't always like such. But striving to be me, for a girl was pushing it.

I tighten my pony tail again getting a glimpse of Melissa squealing in excitement over in the corner of the room with Taylor by her side. Of course their hearts had jumped out off their chests, it was the pep rally.  All our late practices end up to this moment. Of course, people had naturally gotten excited.

"Guys, no tripping, no falling, no giggling, no slip-ups" I spoke sternly, before engulfing them all in a group hug. Turn by turn we'd left the gym running out into the open of the football field. Where the parents and football team await us. I felt a shiver run down my spine as I'd entered the environment exposed by such exciting spirits. I could sense the eyes of my parents sitting in the crowd, only to detect my failures and discuss about them on the way home. But my sense had been at fault for they weren't this time. And then I saw Mason's bright teeth shining over at us, I guess he was already warming back up to me. I waved at him, but he hadn't payed any attention to it, I turned around focusing on to where he was. He was waving at Taylor who'd waved back. I furrowed my eyebrows lowering my hand, confused as to why he didn't seem me, but saw 'her', before joining my team on the middle of the field.

Okay.

What was that?

I shook my head, throwing away my thoughts to focus on my big day. I stood at front leading the entire team. I looked over the crowd, once more. I had no intentions of feeling nervous, but I'd felt more relaxed knowing who was watching.