Chapter Two

Bipolar disorder, formerly called manic depression, is a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings that include emotional highs (mania or hypomania) and lows (depression). When you become depressed, you may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in most activities.

I'd never encountered a room so empty. Of the things that had existed, a chair, computer, desk, and counselor and another extra chair that I'd sat on were the one's clearly visible to one's eye. I'd thought maybe it was all for intimidation of the patient, if there wasn't anything to rest one's eyes on would one spill? Or on a second thought, the school's budget for guidance counselling probably just declined over the years, since the creation of online meditation, and anxiety pills. It is a shame as the effort for it all has diminished, hardly even there anymore. Sport clubs had much more funding, than counselling workshops had. Such activities just didn't work for the century anymore. Though some-as Mr. Newberry-appreciated counselling the old-fashioned way. Wonder how that's working out for him, since they couldn't even purchase a more convenient couch, so I didn't have to sit, and stand up feeling numb.

"Good morning Sadie, how was your weekend?" Was the first question on the table.

"Fantastic" I smile overly wide.

"Well that's good to hear. How are you feeling today? Any progress?" I sighed heavily and glanced out the window for a split moment hoping something, or anything, would drive me away from here. It was a simple getaway plan, away from this sanity sabbatical. But I had hoped too much.

"There's nothing to progress, I'm well" I groaned, for the hundredth time. It was indeed much more than the hundredth time, but it didn't matter-I wasn't being heard anyway. Whatever I'd said was almost disregarded all the time. I was the patient, and only my documents could speak for me. Yet I had the authority to accuse the school of false diagnosis.

"Wrong" He assessed my answer and shook his head in dissatisfaction. "The key to getting better is to first accept you have a problem" He reminds concerned at my inconsistent effort.

"Mr. Newberry, clearly, we both really don't want to do this. I might as well leave; I am already very late for class" I add to top on his frustration. He'd ignored my statement and stood up rummaging through his drawers in search for something.

Mr. Newberry didn't understand my demand, at the least not even considering it. I'd understood it was his job. If I'd protested to no longer do this, his chances of continuing in this manner may end drastically. Who knows, he could have family. I'd be in charge for his family income to deteriorate. Though at the same time, I didn't fancy the idea of people thinking I'd signed up to get guidance from a thirty-eight-year-old man who has regular coffee stains on his shirt. Firstly, I didn't even need guidance. I was harmonizing perfectly on my own. If there had been one to need guidance, it would have been Mr. Newberry, he needed to know how to have coffee without his shirt drinking it too.

Sometimes, I really wonder who's in charge of these protocols.

I groaned and grabbed my school bag off the floor by the couch I'd been sitting on and plucked out a small pocket mirror from the side pocket.

I took a look at myself, horrified by the stress Mr. Newberry was giving me. My forehead had creased and bits of my hair hung low against my eyes, as if already plucked out. An hour of conducted facial care routine thrown away to bits, because the school couldn't just leave me be. Ruffling my hair slightly to get it's posture back; I'd removed those bits off. I had to remain intact. At least for the good will of my image.

Mr. Newberry coughed slightly, indicating that I mean to give him attention. I moved my mirror to the side and gave a rather uneasy look.

"Since you really enjoy looking so much at yourself, take a look at this. Do you even know what this is?" He questioned glancing a paper across my face, I'd squinted my eyes and only shrugged getting a slight glimpse of the paper.