Ch. 68: For Love of the Game (Huey/Jordan)

Jordan

When Huey left the room, I looked up at the sky and just thanked god for everything. I thanked him for allowing me to compete on a national stage and win. I thanked him for my parents being there as well as my friends being there. But of course, I thanked him for making me realize that Huey was the one for me. I'm sure he would forgive me in allowing Huey to spend the night with me, but at least I was happy.

I was so happy that Huey had ended his relationship with Pam and became mine. Obviously, I was glad Pam recognized Huey's love for me and set him free. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I would've been happy. I had a tough few days of crying knowing that Huey was going to get married to Pam. I never let my teammates know about it, but I think they were aware of the situation. Once I found out Huey dumped Pam because of his heart for me, I cried and was so grateful I would've kissed him all over his face to make it red. That's how much I loved Huey.

I got out of bed, showered, got dressed, and went to meet my teammates. Stacia and Rose smiled at me. They knew what happened even though nothing was said. We got on a plane and made our way back to Austin where there was a crowd waiting for us. I would say it was over 1,000 people at the airport, including the cheerleaders, our mascot, and even our parents. It was just crazy of a celebration as I was surrounded by fans wanting a picture with me and the trophy. I took as many photos as I could, but I was trying to get home and get focused.

That summer, Huey and I started our adventure as a couple for about a week. That was because I had to join the United States softball team for their Olympic trials. I was able to make an impression of my older, veteran teammates that I earned the nickname "The Little Mermaid." I didn't have red hair and I wasn't too interested in marine stuff, but I was glad they saw me as a star on their team.

The Olympic Games were to be held in Tokyo, Japan. I was nervous, especially during the Opening Ceremonies when I saw the other athletes from other countries competing. I knew I was going to find myself in the biggest stage. But fortunately, I had support as my family, Huey, my roommates, and best friends were all in attendance.

We cruised through the preliminary rounds with seven wins. I got to start in two of the games and won both of them. My first start came against China and I shut them out 4-0 with 13 strikeouts. Against Australia, I pitched my second career no-hitter as I only allowed a leadoff walk before retiring the next twenty-one hitters. This included 11 strikeouts.

We qualified for the next round along with Australia, Japan, and Canada. I thought I would have the first start of our semifinal game against Canada. But to my amazement, the coach put in one of our two top pitchers to start and she pitched a great game. We beat Canada 6-2 to advance to the gold medal game.

Then I got a call from my coach before I went to bed.

"You're starting against Japan," she said to me. "Get some rest and let's go for the gold."

I couldn't believe it. I've pitched in the Little League World Series, the College World Series, and now, I was getting to start in an Olympic Gold Medal game. I called Huey right away and told him the news.

"That's great babe," he said. "You'll be fine."

"I'm so nervous," I replied. "I'm pitching in hostile territory tomorrow. I'm so scared that I can't do it. You know how they play here in Japan."

"Do you think I love the Jordan because she wants to make a good impression? Or do I love the Jordan who is truly an amazing athlete and also the sexiest girl out there, but can be a bitch on the field?"

"I think I'll take the latter option."

"That's my girl. I love you."

"Love you too."