Ch. 4: The Big Game (Huey/Jordan)

Huey

The minute Freddie took a strike from Jordan, I knew she was for real. We had seen her pitch from afar and she could bring the heat. But it's totally different when it's in person. Freddie shook his head and took his stance. Two pitches later, he walked back to the dugout in shame after striking out on a changeup. Troy Paulson and Harry Myers both went down with a strikeout and a groundout to short to the end inning. Just like that, our first inning concluded with no one getting on base for us. It was disappointing, but our guys shook it off and prepared for defense.

Jimmy also had a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the first. But it took him four pitches to get out of it as two groundouts and a flyout ended California's first inning. In the second inning, Jimmy struck out his first batter. Now it was Jordan's turn to bat for them. We all wondered how she would do as a hitter since she was a devastating pitcher. Amazingly, Jordan smacked Jimmy's first pitch to left-center. I thought it was a home run off the bat. However, it hit the top of the wall and Jordan ran to second for a double.

We all breathe a sigh of relief in our dugout knowing we dodged a bullet. It could've easily been 1-0 in their favor. Fortunately, that was not the case.

Jordan

I had never hit a homer all season long. At least, not one out of the park. I did have one inside the park home run back in district play. But that was it. So for my batted ball to come up short, I was disappointed. I was sure I got it out of the park. It wasn't to be however and I had to wait for someone to drive me in. Sadly, I remained at second as my teammates failed to even hit the ball and our second inning ended with a whimper.

I returned back to the mound and struck out the side in the second inning. After two innings, we were deadlocked at 0-0. The game was looking to be a pitcher's duel, and that's what it turned out to be. I was matching zeroes with their pitcher through four innings. But the difference was, I was the only player on either side to have a hit. Texas wasn't getting anything past me or my defenders. In fact, through four innings, I had retired twelve straight batters to start the ballgame.

By the top of the fifth inning, I was hoping our offense would score runs. Their pitcher was just taking it to us. I led off in the inning. The first pitch to me was one I saw off the bat. I swung and immediately recognized it was a high pop-fly to right. However, their fielder misplayed the ball and I rushed to second base. However, I heard people chanting for me to go to third. So I went and made it standing up. I had a triple to go with a double. I was the only player on both sides with a hit. But not for long.

Ollie then came up and singled a ball past the third baseman that I scored on. We were up 1-0. At that point, we all thought it was over.

Huey

It sure looked over after our right fielder Wade Decell misplayed the ball hit to right. You can immediately sense that he was feeling the goat horns coming from his head as he felt he let the team down at the moment. Only when the next batter singled to score Klinger was the impact of that play felt.

We were in trouble. Jimmy had pitched a great game, but we now trailed 1-0. Not only that, we were facing Jordan Klinger, who had yet to concede a hit in the game. Once the inning ended with us giving up no further trouble, we were in dire straits. The only positive inning was that our middle of the order was due up, including Jimmy, who batted sixth. So we were hoping for something great.

Instead, we had more of the same as Klinger had another 1-2-3 inning. Her fifth in a row. She had retired 15 straight batters and was now three outs from perfection.

But she would have a chance to tack on insurance in the top of the sixth with two on and two out. Jimmy pitched the ball and she swung. The bat connected with the ball and it was heading to right. Wade saw the ball and went to catch it. He was able to track it down just before it went over.

We were glad that Wade redeemed himself for that moment. But he wasn't happy about the play earlier. Of course, he would get a chance for redemption as he was hitting third in the last inning.

Jordan

This was it. I was three outs away from immortality. It wasn't the championship game as it only meant we would take on Japan after this. But it sure felt like it.

I went to the mound and went through my normal routine. My teammates never talked to me in between innings. I knew what was going on. I had a perfect game and it was a superstition that you don't talk about it when you're going through it. I didn't care about that. It was all about getting these three outs and playing Japan the next game.

I struck out the first hitter in three pitches for out number one. The next guy, Peter I think was his name, proceeded to battle with me for a few pitches. He fouled off some good breaking balls I had. I then decided to go with a changeup down low. Somehow he read that well because he struck the ball right at me.

I went to field the ball with my glove, but it was too fast I couldn't reach it. I hoped someone would field it. Next thing I knew, I felt this sharp pain right on my ankle. I knew it was bad and it hurt. But I couldn't think about it.

Fortunately, the ball didn't go far afterward as I saw it, fielded the ball, and threw it to first just in time for the second out. I was one out away. But I was in pain.

Or at least, I thought I was. My coaches came to check on me as did a trainer.

"Are you alright?", my coach asked.

"I'm fine!" I replied.

"Where did it get you?"

"My ankle!"

The trainer then checked the ankle. But surprisingly, the pain I thought was on my ankle wasn't there. I found out later the ball missed my ankle by a few inches. So the pain was on my foot area.

"Can you walk on it?" My coach asked me.

I walked for a few moments. It hurt a bit, but I nodded to the coach that I could still go.

"Ok! Let's finish this."

Everyone walked back to their spots and left me to pitch. After shaking off my foot, even more, I stood firm and got ready to face my final hitter.