Ch. 38: Strike Two (Huey)

"Do you think she likes me?" Pam asked as we were driving back.

"Who?" I replied.

"Jordan? Do you think she likes me? She seemed to be pretty harsh to me today."

Now that I think of it, Jordan did appear to be cold to Pam. She never said anything rude to her. He'll, she never said anything to Pam all day long. But there was a vibe that gave off the feeling that Pam wasn't welcomed by our group. I wasn't sure what her problem was.

"I think maybe she can be skeptical of other people," I said. "She does seem to have this habit of trying to monitor relationships of everyone she knows."

"Like, how does she monitor?" Palm questioned me.

I explained about how Jimmy and Stacia first got together and she and I both questioned it because of how similar they were. We weren't keen on the idea. But over time, we managed to see how much they liked each other and were happy over them dating.

"Well, I think relationships shouldn't be monitored unless there was a crisis," Pam explained. "You can't just be unhappy for the people and act like they shouldn't date without a reason."

"Now why do you suppose she would be upset over us dating?"

"Because I think she doesn't like me and wants to make sure you get a girl that's happy for you. But then again, there might be a feeling she might be into you."

"Oh please," I said laughing. "She already has a boyfriend back home. She would never want to break his heart."

"That still doesn't mean she should try to barge in and question us." Pam then kissed me on the cheek. "Only a real friend would want others to be happy."

I couldn't help but agree with her there.

"How about I talk to Jordan and see if we can work something out?" I asked.

Pam didn't appear sure at first for fear that I might cause an angry Jordan to erupt into a volcano. But, she figured that I could at least try.

"Ok!" She said. "But I want you to return to me."

"It won't be a date," I inquired. "I promise."

A few days later, I suggested to Jordan that we meet at a Saltgrass Steakhouse for lunch. Neither of us had afternoon classes that day. So it was an opportunity for us to chat. At first, we chatted about our classes and what was going on in our lives. Jordan told me about Joe and I acted pretty chill about it wanting to show how happy I was for her. Now, however, I had to see if I could make Jordan happy for me and Pam.

"So Pam tells me you acted pretty stern to her," I said about halfway through our meal.

She looked at me with suspicion on her face.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

I told Jordan about my conversation with Pam.

"I'm sorry about that," Jordan said. "I just don't want her to hurt you as Jasmine did."

"Why would Pam hurt me?"

"I mean, she sounds like a sweet girl and all. But I just don't want you to get hurt."

"So by not talking to her and trying to act like my protector gives you a reason to make Pam think she's hated by you?"

"I mean, you're such a sweet guy. But assuming that something happens to Pam and you are without someone, what would you do?"

This conversation was making no sense. So I figured it was time to lay down a strict rule.

"Look Jordan," I said. "We're both in a relationship and we don't want the other person to hurt us. But my issue here is that while I'm happy for you and your boyfriend, I get the feeling you don't like it when I'm with someone else."