Ch. 15: Triple Play (Jordan)

"How are you liking campus?", Joe said to me.

"I enjoy it," I replied. "The students are great. Austin is actually more liberal than I would've ever imagined."

"So I guess what I hear about Texas is a lie then?",

"Maybe, but it's a nice city. I'm actually getting ready to start my season. I'm excited and nervous."

"You were that way when we had our first game."

"I know, but I'm facing college girls who can rake instead of munchkins who have yet to hit puberty."

I heard a chuckle from Joe as he laughed at my comment.

"Quite the contrary. You Jordan Klinger. You can still bring it."

"I hope you're right."

"So are there any guys you have your eyes on?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you're in college and from what I hear, girls set their sights on finding a man to have for the ring by spring."

"That is so overrated. However, I'm actually seeing someone."

"Athlete?"

"No, just another student. Met him in a class. His name's Chris."

"Chris sounds like a good guy." There seemed to be a disappointment in Joe's voice.

"He is, but to be honest, I don't think it'll work out. He's only a junior and he's got to get his priorities straight. I don't want to sound like I'm using him. But I feel that it's not worth having him around."

"Why not dump him?"

"You don't dump somebody that easily. There has to be a straightforward reason. I don't see that now."

"Well here's one. You're about to begin your season and you should really focus on working to help your team win. If you let a relationship like that distract you, your dreams and goals won't be achieved by how you want them to. Plus, you're a student first. So you need to get good grades."

"This coming from someone who didn't take school seriously."

While I hadn't seen Joe in years, I heard that he was a top athlete at his school who played football and baseball. As intelligent as he was, he never showed it on his grades. It was never failing, but borderline C's and D's for the most part. But because he had his sights set on high, I heard a rumor that his family had bribed his teachers with money to get him to pass, even if he failed exams.

I wouldn't ask him about that because I knew he would deny everything.

"I probably wish I was in school right now," I heard him say after a while.

"What happened?"

"I don't know if you heard, but I got drafted by the Detroit Tigers. I was really excited to be pitching. I then got to pitch with the lowest minor league team in their system. But a few innings in, unfortunately, something was wrong with my arm. It wasn't right. I tried to pitch around it. It did nothing for me. Finally, I went to see a doctor and they determined I needed to have Tommy John surgery."

I had a look of confusion hit my face.

"Who's Tommy John?", I asked.

Joe smiled and showed me his teeth as he chuckled. I had to say his smile was nice.

"Tommy John was a former pitcher, who was best remembered for having a surgical procedure that not only saved his career but also made him pitch longer and more effective."