In the beginning

In the beginning there was God and with God was a large expanse of nothing. That was until she made angels.

They started out young, each one exactly like the other. They didn't yet have wings or any special abilities. God would later divide them into their different ranks. She did this several times each time the group would be divided up once they came into their wings.

Each angel rang had a different color wing and some had more than others. The Archangels had six and they were gold in color. The Seraphim had three and they were silver. And so on and so forth.

God loved watching the angels grow and come into their powers. However, there were two particular angels that caught her eye. A firey red headed one and a platinum blonde. They had fit together so well God knew they would be special. She gave them similar names as a result.

"You shall be named Raphael and Aziraphale," God had told them. Aziraphale literally meant 'of Raphael' it was symbolic of their friendship. The little blonde angel followed behind the red head as if a part of him, and so he became.

The young angels played, giggling and spinning in the vast darkness. But the playing was brought to an abrupt end when Raphael felt a tingling in his back.

"Oh, I think it's my wings," He'd said excitedly. From the tiny angel's back sprouted large gold wings. Six in all.

"You're an Archangel," Aziraphale gasp in delight.

It took mere moments for Aziraphale to feel his coming in.

Raphael's eager smile faded as he saw the simple pair of white wings. "You're a principality," the feeling in his chest was new for him. Sadness.

"We're not together," Aziraphale gave a small pout.

"Perhaps mother made a mistake," Raphael frowned.

"Don't day that, you'll get us in trouble. Mother doesn't make mistakes you know that," Aziraphale scolded gently.

"It is time my angels," God called.

Each angel was called to their respective places until only two remained.

"Do we have to? I don't want to leave him," Raphael cried, his hand clutching Aziraphale's as they approached.

"I'm afraid so."

"But why?" Raphael pleaded. "He's my friend."

God looked at Raphael with a sad smile, her hand lifted to his cheek. "You're too young to understand now but you'll find each other again, this I promise you."

Aziraphale and Raphael were forced to say their goodbyes.

-

"Crowley," Aziraphale spoke around a cup of tea. "Might I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Sleeping, it's a strange new concept to me, but...well since you introduced it to me, I've been having dreams."

"So you're gonna blame me for your nightmares now, angel?" Crowley snorted.

"They aren't nightmares, they're...well I almost feel like their memories. Of the beginning. Before the heavens and the earth."

"The rather large expanse of vast darkness?" Crowley asked peering over his glasses.

"Yes, but I was with someone...someone I couldn't quite see. They're face is always slightly blurred," Aziraphale frowned.

Crowley tensed.

"But I don't remember ever being with another angel. But we were separated. They were an archangel. I don't think it was Gabriel, and it wasn't Michael or Uriel. Surely it couldn't have been Sandalphon," Aziraphale pondered thoughfully.

"Do you really wanna know?" Crowely knew, it was his curse after all.

"Know what?" Aziraphale blinked at the demon.

"Who it was."

"You know? But how? I mean I know you're cursed with your pre fallen memories, but did you see us?"

"You could say that," Crowley nodded and suddenly his tea was now bourbon. This conversation required it.

"Well do tell," Aziraphale sat forward, his interest piqued.

"It was me, angel," Crowley answered simply. His eyes set on the principality.

"What? No, that be right, the angel in my dream was an Archangel. Only one Archangel fell," Aziraphale screwed his face into a displeased, confused scowl.

"Yes," Crowley urged the angel to put the pieces together.

Aziraphale's eyes went wide. "You...you're...you're Raphael?"

"Was, angel. That was a long time ago," Crowley took a large gulp of his liquor.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Aziraphale asked, his tone more surprised than hurt.

"Couldn't. Literally, the name is like acid on my tongue. Part of the curse," Crowley shrugged. "Besides, that's not who I am anymore."

"You questioned her, even then," Aziraphale gave a sad smile.

"She split us apart," Crowley snorted in response.

"But wait, your wings," Aziraphale recalled the angel from his dream having the six gold wings.

"The rankings aren't the same in hell, angel. We all got demoted. Set of two plain old black as coal wings."

"I like they're rather lovely," Aziraphale said around a small blush.

Crowley gaped at the angel with a fond smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't remember," Aziraphale dropped his eyes once more.

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault. Besides we're together now. Same side and everything, even if our wings are different," Crowley scooted closer, cupping his hand over the angel's.

He recalled the words God had said to them before they parted. 'You're too young to understand now but you'll find each other again.' He wondered if she had known it would be under these circumstances. He decided it didn't matter, all that mattered was that they were finally together.

(Request for Zakani_Donovan, hope it's okay. It tried to remember everything you wanted included. Sorry if it's not right)