My Love

Angel, it was a term Crowley had been calling Aziraphale for millennia. Dear, it was a term that Aziraphale called many people, including Crowley. However, other names were never used. Honey, sweetheart, darling. Those were terms of endearment that didn't have the luxury of passing the lips of the angel nor the demon. So when Aziraphale called Crowley something other than his name or dear, he had been completely thrown.

It happened in Aziraphale's bookshop, barely a month after the apocalypse that wasn't. A customer had come in and was looking through the many books the angel had collected over the years.

"Can I help you?" Aziraphale asked, giving the man a tight lipped smile. He really tried to be nice to his customers but he didn't like to sell his books.

"Umm, I was actually wondering if your associate was in today," The man asked with a bit of a shy smile.

Aziraphale straightened his posture, a new tension grabbing at his shoulders.

"The one with the dark glasses and firey red hair?" The man clarified, as if Aziraphale didn't know who he was talking about.

"I'm afraid he's out," Aziraphale didn't sense a demonic presence coming off of this person, and he wasn't an angel.

"How do you know him?" Aziraphale asked, trying once again to remain polite.

"I came in the other day, he said you were in the back and when I asked for a specific book he directed me to another shop, as you didn't have the one I was looking for. I just wanted to thank him and let him know I got it."

"What book was it?" Aziraphale frowned.

"Of Mice and Men by-"

"John Steinbeck, oh yes, that's a favorite of mine," Aziraphale cut in, lighting up. "I actually have-" He cut himself off. Crowley knew he had that book. Crowley had helped him obtain the book during an auction back in nineteen sixty-eight after John Steinbeck had passed. It was the original copy and everything.

"I have been wanting to get my hands on the original copy for some time, unfortunately it's not passed through my shop," Aziraphale smiled once again, only this smile was not tight lipped and tense. It was full of fondness for a certain demon that had dissuaded a customer from acquiring a particularly precious book.

"Well I only managed the third copy myself, but it is signed by Mr. Steinbeck himself," The customer gushed excitedly.

"Well I'm thrilled for you, and I'll be sure to let my associate know you found it," Aziraphale gave a nod, "Unfortunately, I'm closing now so you best be on your way," The angel ushered the man towards the door.

"Oh, okay, well, perhaps I'll stop in another day then-"

Aziraphale closed the shop door behind the man being sure to slide the lock into place. A large grin graced his face at the thought of Crowley sending one of his customers away.

He hurried to his phone and dialed the demon's number.

"Hey, angel," Crowley answered cheerily.

"I've closed the shop early, perhaps you might swing by with a nice bottle of Merlot?" Aziraphale asked, his cheeks were beginning to ache from smiling so hard.

"Yeah, alright, I'll be over shortly," Crowley agreed easily.

Aziraphale hummed pleasantly as he hung up. He walked over to the shelf where he knew his copy of the John Steinbeck book was.

"Of Mice and Men," Aziraphale grinned as he ran a finger along the spine. He decided perhaps it was time for a reread. He gently pulled the book from it's place and settled into the couch to wait for Crowley.