Plants

Plants. They were a wonderful creation. They were also useful. Crowley had taken a particular liking to them much to the chagrin of the demon's indoor garden.

Every morning he would wake and spray the plants with his cheap water mister and scare the hell out of them, or rather into them. He didn't tolerate brown spots or wilting. And the plants rarely looked anything but perfect.

One particular morning he was spraying them when he came up to a rather newer, smaller plant. A tiny brown speck on the end of one of the leaves made Crowley's jaw clench.

"What is this?" He snapped, grabbing the leaf between his fingers.

The plants all began to shake at the bitter sound of his voice.

"You know better than this," He snarled, snatching the plant up by it's pot.

"You all know what happens if you don't listen. You get thrown out. Destroyed," He shouted, backing down the hall with the terrified plant in his hands.

He turned the corner and with a snap of his fingers a loud roaring sound started up.

He pushed open the door to the back of his patio where a tiny outdoor garden sat, there were maybe five plants total in it, but they all looked wonderfully full and vibrant.

"You little rebellious thing, I should have known you'd be a problem," Crowley's tone tutted as he snapped his fingers. The plant suddenly was buried neatly next to the other ones in the garden.

"Show him the ropes, guys," He said pointing at the other, older plants.

He took the now empty pot back inside where the loud roaring was still sounding. With another snap the sound silenced, and he returned to the indoor garden holding up the empty pot.

"See this? It's what happens," He spun slowly in a circle giving all the plants a chance to see the pot.

"Grow better!" He shouted one last time before throwing the pot into a nearby trash can and walking towards the door.

However, he was met with a horrified looking angel at the door.

"Angel, what are you doing here?" Crowley hadn't been expecting him.

"I was just coming to ask if you'd accompany me to a local auction I caught wind of, this afternoon, but..." he trailed off his eyes looking over the demon's shoulder.

"That sounds splendid, angel," Crowley nodded, throwing his arm around Aziraphale's shoulder to lead him away.

"Crowley, these plants are terrified. You can't expect them to grow well like this," Aziraphale slipped under the demon's arm and into the room.

"What- yes I can, look at them they're-"

"Terrified," Aziraphale finished with a soft frown.

"Well, yeah," Crowley shrugged. "That's the point."

"Crowley, these are innocent plants. You can't just shout at them and expect results, they need love and-"

"No, angel, don't you dare," Crowley went to pull the angel away.

"What did you do with that poor little dear you took away?" Aziraphale asked, looking down the hall.

"What? Nothing, just what it deserved," Crowley waved a dismissive hand.

"Did you put it through the mulcher? Shame on you," Aziraphale tutted as he followed the hall.

"No, angel, don't," Crowley hurried after the principality. Before he could stop him, the angel had already pushed open the back door.

Crowley froze in the doorway. Aziraphale stood gaping at the small garden.

"Oh, Crowley, I can't believe you... this is..."

"No, shhh, the others might here you," Crowley quickly closed the door for fear of his secret being found out by the indoor plants.

"But I don't understand, why would you put them out here?" Aziraphale frowned at the demon, a fondness in his eyes.

"They're my rebels. The ones who refused to listen just because someone said they had to grow a certain way. Out here they can grow however they want without fear. They'll never know abandonment just because they weren't like the rest," Crowley shrugged.

Aziraphale's heart broke ever so slightly in that moment. He never imagined what being a rebelled angel must feel like. To feel abandoned. This was his way of feeling better about his fall, who was Aziraphale to judge that?

"Your secret is safe with me," Aziraphale gave the demon a gentle pat on his arm.

Crowley cleared his throat, "You mentioned an auction?"he asked desperate for a subject change.

"Oh, yes, would you join me?" Aziraphale lit up at the reminder.

"Lead the way," Crowley opened the door for the angel. They rounded the hall and into the indoor garden once again.

"You better do as he says, you bad... little...shrubbery," Aziraphale shook a finger at the room.

"Okay, that'll do angel," Crowley rolled his eyes as he wrapped an arm around the angel and led him out.

To say the plants were confused was an understatement but they didn't dare disappoint Crowley, much less his angel.

(Request for Popcorn2007, hope it's okay)